The C64 Mini

Like the title says above this section is for general chat about anything else. (within reason)
PiyoTaro

The C64 Mini

Post by PiyoTaro » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:01 am

That announced article appeared to me like a game console like "Nintendo Classic" where two joysticks were attached to half the size replica.

I accidentally noticed that "BASIC" is included in the built-in game software and confirmed the official website.
It can connect the USB keyboard and the USB stick memory to the terminal that connects the two joysticks. A BASIC simple manual is posted on the site, and it is possible to access the virtual floppy disk drive of the "d64" format.
https://thec64.com/loading-other-programs/
https://thec64.com/basic/

I saw the heading "Sega Mega Drive Reprint" in a Japanese newspaper. I just found the one that was exhibited in Akihabara on that day (news site article:"2018/04/11 Akiba PC Hotline" translate / original ).

It is sold for 67.22 euros by "Amazon.de".
I bought it for around 90 euro including shipping cost to Japan.
I thought that 30 years ago, BASIC of C64 had few instruction words and processing related to hardware became an enumeration of "POKE $~ ~", which made it difficult for programming :lol: . But I decided to buy it because SID 6581 was not implemented in ZX SpectrumNext (SID was deleted from the official Turbosound Next article).

mitja_i

Re: The C64 Mini

Post by mitja_i » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:58 am

SID was never in the specs. There was no mention of it on the Kickstarter.
Backer 423 @ 37% funded 29 days left
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

SamusDrake

Post by SamusDrake » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:31 pm

I have to say, out of all the attempts to bring back classic retro machines, the C64 Mini has it just right. I am very tempted to purchase one but apparently there is a full size version coming soon and I'd much rather have that instead.

beanz

Post by beanz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:36 pm

SamusDrake wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:31 pm
I have to say, out of all the attempts to bring back classic retro machines, the C64 Mini has it just right. I am very tempted to purchase one but apparently there is a full size version coming soon and I'd much rather have that instead.
I'll probably end up getting both.

SamusDrake

Post by SamusDrake » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:19 pm

beanz wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:36 pm
SamusDrake wrote:
I'll probably end up getting both.
The Mini would be nice to take on Holiday, and guess by getting both you'll have two joysticks for two player games.

RobertS

Post by RobertS » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:58 pm

SamusDrake wrote:
I strongly disagree. The C64 is a computer, the mini is an emulating gaming console with a fake keyboard. It couldn't be more wrong.

SamusDrake

Post by SamusDrake » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:24 pm

RobertS wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:58 pm
SamusDrake wrote:
I strongly disagree. The C64 is a computer, the mini is an emulating gaming console with a fake keyboard. It couldn't be more wrong.
Yes, it would be great if the C64 Mini used FPGA, but that would probably have put the price up - and to what benefit? Just to appease those who know about FPGAs - not exactly the lion share of the product customers. The C64 Mini is already at £70 which is inline with the SNES mini. From the reviews I've read and viewed so far the emulation has been well received on both machines. Its also got similar options to the SNES mini such as screen aspect and save slots - they have at least made the most of going the emulated route.

As for the keyboard, they have gone the extra mile and provided not only the ability to use a standard USB keyboard but also a digital keyboard by using the provided joystick. Also, there is word that there will be a fullsized version coming later in the year, for which I can only assume will feature a working keyboard. Clearly, they wanted to ensure Basic programming is still part of the C64 experience and not just be a 60+ games toy.

The only bad thing I've heard about the C64 Mini is that the provided joystick does not use Micro switches and thus doesn't quite feel authentic. Other than that, I cant see how they could have done better for a £70 price tag.

SevenFFF

Post by SevenFFF » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:46 pm

I don't have a C64 Mini, but I believe Chris Smith wrote the bare metal emulator. His bare metal emulator in the original ZX Vega was great, and his understanding of the hardware is excellent.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel Spectron 2084blog

dave18

Post by dave18 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:06 pm

I don't believe many c64 era joysticks used microswitches, they normally used metal arms and dome contacts. My first microswitched joystick was the competition pro and that was for the Amiga so maybe the c64 mini is more authentic than you think.

varmfskii

Post by varmfskii » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:41 am

SamusDrake wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:24 pm
As for the keyboard, they have gone the extra mile and provided not only the ability to use a standard USB keyboard but also a digital keyboard by using the provided joystick.
Does this mean that the USB keyboard is some sort of weird analog thing that tells you not only which keys have been pressed, but how far down or how hard?
Backer #2741 - TS2068, Byte, ZX Evolution