"mini" SNES classic edition

Like the title says above this section is for general chat about anything else. (within reason)
JoeZX

"mini" SNES classic edition

Post by JoeZX » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:17 pm

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1397425
.. launches on Sept. 29 at a suggested retail price of $79.99.

- what do you think is inside .. ARM+emulator ?

beanz

Re: "mini" SNES classic edition

Post by beanz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Same board as in the NES classic? I heard that was capable of running snes roms.

Lets hope they make enough of the damn things this time...

JoeZX

Post by JoeZX » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:11 pm

beanz wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:03 pm
Same board as in the NES classic? I heard that was capable of running snes roms.

Lets hope they make enough of the damn things this time...
Heh .. so Rasp PI + higan .. "Lets hope they make enough of the damn things this time" - nintendo business decision .. nothing more or less.

johey

Post by johey » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:20 am

For me shell and controllers are the interesting parts. The hardware is probably ass. Although it obviously will support a few interesting special chips not present in the original SNES but in cartridges like Star Fox, Yoshi's Island and Mario RPG. Would be pretty nice if they were implemented in FPGA. If they run in an emulation layer on an ARM host or similar, it's like a crippled Pi. This is likely the case by looking at the price tag.

Also cool that they ship it with Star Fox II. Will be interesting to see if that code can run on a real SNES. Maybe it use some new unknown mapper or even custom hardware chip, but who knows.

JoeZX

Post by JoeZX » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:27 am

johey wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:20 am
If they run in an emulation layer on an ARM host or similar, it's like a crippled Pi. This is likely the case by looking at the price tag.

Also cool that they ship it with Star Fox II. Will be interesting to see if that code can run on a real SNES. Maybe it use some new unknown mapper or even custom hardware chip, but who knows.
Yep .. it is likely ARM+EMU and Star Fox 2 ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m690yg1MN4
- we will see and compare ..

SamusDrake

Post by SamusDrake » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:15 pm

I don't think anyone expected to see Starfox II for the SNES. That alone will probably make it very sought after.

SamusDrake

Post by SamusDrake » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:46 pm

I bought one yesterday for £62 and its a wonderful machine.

It was nice to have a proper version of Super Metroid and just about all the games in the collection are solid examples of timeless game design. The emulation and presentation was slick and even after hours of play, the bottom of the machine felt only slightly warm.

Kudos to Nintendo for producing enough units to beat the ebay scalpers. I could understand someone making the odd £20 profit at christmas, but asking £270 was stupid and greedy. I advised such people not to go higher than £120 during the festive season but they wouldn't have it and in the end didn't even get that much for them. When you get to more than twice the RRP you start looking for alternatives and even a low-powered pc and Buffalo pad makes a lot more sense at that point...

For £70, though, you have a SNES you can easily take on holiday and the included games are certainly going to keep one entertained. Star Fox 2 alone isnt enough reason to buy a 'Mini but it does make a wonderful companion to the first game. I would have preferred a model that could play SNES carts, but I think Nintendo made the right decision in the end to ensure quality.

It seems to be £70 in most places now, and if you can use some loyalty point scheme against it to knock a few quid off, then I definitely recommend one.