... and what about FORTH programming language ?

Discuss game and other programming topics not specifically covered in another forum

Moderator: Programming Moderators

programandala.net

Re: ... and what about FORTH programming language ?

Postby programandala.net » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:08 pm

48K wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:33 pm
I've been looking at your Forth projects - they are amazing !
Thank you.
48K wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:33 pm
I'll contact you via your website, hope you don't mind.
Of course not. I'll be glad to help.
Marcos Cruz (programandala.net)

Mmattsteel

Re: ... and what about FORTH programming language ?

Postby Mmattsteel » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:38 pm

programandala.net wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Hello Matteo,

Nice to meet you here, and to know that vForth progresess well. I wonder what's your plan to support the Next, given vForth is based on the microdrives. Will you convert the block operations from microdrive sectors to block files on the SD?

As you know from the email list Forth on Sinclair computers , my Solo Forth currently supports G+DOS, TR-DOS and +3DOS. Though it's a modern and standard Forth system, it's focused on cross development. Well, the plan for version 0.15.0 (version 0.14.0 is about to be released, with full documentation) is to support also the ZX Spectrum Next (which I'm waiting for too), with block files and ordinary text files as well.
Many thanks Marcos !

I really succeded in recompile the whole thing "in Forth itself", so my latest version of Forth is written in Forth. I hope I can write soon a few lines on above mentioned Yahoo Group. The weird thing is that I am aware that there is always another bug, even if everything seems to work just fine.

As per the current "Blocks implementation" it is very useful if you have just a ZX Spectrum 48K with Interface1 and Microdrive, like me. Sadly, my two 48K are both KO: one with an upper Ram chip failed, the other with ULA in a "drunk" state. I never had got a 128K. :|
Now, I am feeding any source Forth file via RS-232 within Z80 or WinZ80 Emulator and Microdrive Blocks are my standard library to be LOADed anytime needed. Once I get familiar with some NextDOS API's I hope I will be able to OPEN# a stream to/from a SD file and turn the old Blocks to a backward compatibility only.

I gave a look to your Solo Forth: very good! I promise I will steal as much I can :-)
Matteo.
Backer #1227. ZX Spectrum+ m/c programmer since 1985.