First steps into Z88DK...and many more to come!

Discuss game and other programming topics not specifically covered in another forum

Moderator: Programming Moderators

SevenFFF

Re: First steps into Z88DK...and many more to come!

Postby SevenFFF » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi Samus, yes Godaddy were reasonably helpful. I had to talk to them a couple of times, and they did what I needed. I also forgot to cancel my renewal for another domain, and they refunded it without question when I called.

For what it's worth, my wife organised the wedding of the guy who owns it. Apparently everyone calls him Daddy, without a trace of irony...

I personally think the game loop is the best way. The Next is fast enough at 14MHz to do 50fps. It also has extra methods to make syncing easier, so you almost get the best of both worlds.

There's a raster interrupt you can set on any of the 312 video lines, and you can also query the current video line from non-interrupt code, which is easier than trying to do floating bus-style tricks.

You can also program the copper to wait for a particular video line and character column before doing stuff, and you can lock the DMA to the turbo rate, making playing audio samples easier when the turbo rate changes (at 14MHz, it drops down to 7MHz while the raster is over the pixel area, to avoid timing problems reading the Layer 2 RAM).
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
Spectron 2084blog

SamusDrake

Re: First steps into Z88DK...and many more to come!

Postby SamusDrake » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:21 pm

I have to say, Robin, Godaddy does seem a solid service. And thats a interesting story you have there - organising any wedding must a real pain. For the time being I'm going to play along with Ehost( transferring to JustHost ), but really digging around I think Godaddy makes a lot of sense for domain names at least. I'm considering another dn for a second site...

I've spent the night setting up Retro Pie on my RPi-3, and its making a lot of sense for homebrew. Theres a Spectrum menu on RetroPie, and I wonder if they can play Next games...