TBBLUE IS NOW ON GITLAB! VERSION 1.0 MILESTONE REACHED!

All the latest updates about the ZX Spectrum Next, Website and Forum News
PiyoTaro

Postby PiyoTaro » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:38 am

September 15, 2018 Phoebus Dokos
https://www.specnext.com/tbblue-is-now- ... e-reached/

the TBBlue distribution has moved to gitlab https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue
One with and one without source code included

Version 1.0 was reached yesterday as all contributor sprint towards the finish line; with the latter being sending of the distribution to SMS for burning to the thousands of SD cards they have in their hands.
Facebook by Kev Brady
https://www.facebook.com/groups/specnex ... 090676547/

TBBlue Distro reached the v.1.0 Milestone. Core: 2.00.00, FW: 1.10b, NextZXOS: 2.00. Lots of source code included too for the curious! Get it here: https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue
Distro V0.9 Released
https://www.specnext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1249
Released August 7:
NEXT SD CARD V.0.9 / NEXTZXOS V.1.99G / FIRMWARE V.1.10a

:o Finally the official version of "ZX Spectrum Next" was announced.
However, compared to the release on August 7, the version of FW has not advanced. Is it a fix of the defect of AY sound?
And what about the implementation of our FM sound (I would like to adopt PicoBlaze CPU firmware base OPN core "JTx") .

TheSMoG

Re: TBBLUE IS NOW ON GITLAB! VERSION 1.0 MILESTONE REACHED!

Postby TheSMoG » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:14 am

:o Finally the official version of "ZX Spectrum Next" was announced.
However, compared to the release on August 7, the version of FW has not advanced. Is it a fix of the defect of AY sound?
And what about the implementation of our FM sound
I do not know what you mean by "official version of ZX Spectrum Next"? All TBBlue distributions are made by ME and they're all *official*.
The machine is ALSO *official*, always have been.
As for the Firmware: It has been bumped up to 1.10b from 1.10a previously
Also, the core has been updated to 2.00.0 from 1.5x.00 previously.
Regarding FM sound: An FM chip will NOT be implemented. FM is way too big for the FPGA we're using. It was a mistake made by Henrique during the Kickstarter; he has admitted to it numerous times but you cannot edit the Kickstarter pages. Once you post them, they're there for all eternity. Additionally there are a number of IP issues with a Yamaha FM chip implementation which would have precluded its inclusion anyway even it it were possible.

Cheers,

Phoebus
Phoebus R. Dokos
ZX Spectrum Next Manual author/editor
TBBlue Distribution Maintainer Latest images & TBBlue git repo on gitlab.com
WASP/ZXnextHUB Member
All Sinclairs All The Time :D :lol:

PiyoTaro

Postby PiyoTaro » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:46 pm

TheSMoG wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:14 am
I do not know what you mean by "official version of ZX Spectrum Next"? All TBBlue distributions are made by ME and they're all *official*.
The machine is ALSO *official*, always have been.

Regarding FM sound: An FM chip will NOT be implemented. FM is way too big for the FPGA we're using. It was a mistake made by Henrique during the Kickstarter; he has admitted to it numerous times but you cannot edit the Kickstarter pages. Once you post them, they're there for all eternity. Additionally there are a number of IP issues with a Yamaha FM chip implementation which would have precluded its inclusion anyway even it it were possible.
Thank you for moving Thread and reply immediately.

The word "official version" is the meaning that "machine specifications are finalized" (I translated my Japanese text with Google translation and posted it).

"It can not use 'FM Sound' because of the right circumstances", I have been to this forum for one year, but I knew for the first time.
(I know that someone had posted such a rumor about "SID" in the official facebook).
Using "PicoBlaze", I learned that "TurboSound FM" can be realized with 300 slices, I tried asking for it.[/quote]

I also posted that even though I upgraded to SLX16 due to the "Anti-brick system", the actual mounting area may not be increased more than SLX9.
In the previous release, there is no mechanism to monitor the CPU bus from the "accelerator board" and behave like a peripheral device.
Is it difficult to add any more sound devices? In the facebook, there was also a request to change the output waveform of AY, such as triangle wave.

For hardware I would like to add an overall volume mixer device to the AY and DA converters.

I'd like to "use the DA converter and extended 8K-bank memory more easily for PCM sound effects". I hope that it will be supported by the OS like "SD-DMA audio".

TheSMoG

Postby TheSMoG » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Re: Picoblaze and Turbosound FM
The Z80N and the extra hardware is definitely not PicoBlaze. The FPGA is pretty much full. With a PicoBlaze you are able to fit a TurboSound-FM but what would you do with it? That doesn't mean that you cannot have a simple Z80 and a simpler spectrum AND a TurboSound-FM. It only means that on THIS particular combination; this will be impossible. Plus since the Next is a computer sold by a real company it cannot do things without licenses. The core team CANNOT release a Yamaha IP without a license FROM Yamaha otherwise the name may be revoked. This are very delicate situations and trust me nobody wants to get into these.
Independent users however may build their own cores with a combination of features not present on the actual Next. Nothing can stop YOU or some VHDL developer to realize whatever hardware they want that CAN fit on an SLX16.

Re: a volume mixer to both audio devices: There is such a request pending but Core 2 is pretty much done and this wasn't investigated
As for the accelerator card, the system is based now on I2C. Read the relevant documents in the doc folder of the distribution to see what can be achieved.

Re: PCM effects via the Pi.
This is possible from the user side using the Pi0 indeed

Last bumped by PiyoTaro on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:34 pm.
Phoebus R. Dokos
ZX Spectrum Next Manual author/editor
TBBlue Distribution Maintainer Latest images & TBBlue git repo on gitlab.com
WASP/ZXnextHUB Member
All Sinclairs All The Time :D :lol: