How much longer?

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
varmfskii

Re: How much longer?

Post by varmfskii » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:06 pm

Winfield: we all want keyboards that work well enough. I was just pointing out that comparison to the Vega+ is definitely unfair. I think that we will eventually get a proper system with a keyboard that works well enough (noting that most modern computers don't have good keyboards).
Backer #2741 - TS2068, Byte, ZX Evolution

xc8

Post by xc8 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:23 pm

Ped7g wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:07 pm
Heck, in the worst case, they may just use 3 layer membrane, for the price of the keyboard feel being ruined, they can now "deliver" KS within 3-4 months..
oh yeah. full of options here:
* fake keyboard like the c-64 mini (epic LOL now)
* completely remove the f* built-in keyboard
* delay the project XX (2 digit) years (bonus: invitation to small claims court party for the dev team)
+++
ATZ

fgeva

Post by fgeva » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Ped7g wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:07 pm
Heck, in the worst case, they may just use 3 layer membrane, for the price of the keyboard feel being ruined, they can now "deliver" KS within 3-4 months
That wouldn't be ideal, true, but I don't know about "ruined". I suspect it would still be the best stock spectrum keyboard ever.
Backer 754

Black_Cat

Post by Black_Cat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:20 pm

Watching the ZX Spectrum Next project is both funny and sad for me. It is funny because everything that the authors of the project are trying to invent, many years ago made by Russian, while at a much higher professional level. And I'm sad that I understand that the authors of the project will destroy it rather than turn to the Russians to get an explanation of how they solved the problem of the keyboard 30 years ago. :)

varmfskii

Post by varmfskii » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:03 am

Black Cat: As usual you are 1) being an ass and 2) talking out your ass (arse). Why are you here at all?
Backer #2741 - TS2068, Byte, ZX Evolution

Black_Cat

Post by Black_Cat » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:04 am

varmfskii wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:03 am
Black Cat: As usual you are 1) being an ass and 2) talking out your ass (arse).
:) Unlike You varmfskii, I know the solution for the ZX Next keyboard issue. :) This decision is elementary simple, so simple that surprise can cause the fact that someone is not capable to solve this question at once. :) 30 years ago, when I was designing an extended keyboard for my ZX Spectrum clone, the design process took me less than an hour. I know why the developers of ZX Next can't get a keyboard, moreover, I know that they will never be able to make a keyboard using the method they have chosen. This is fundamentally impossible, and it is understood by every real engineer.
For a real engineer, one look at the method chosen by the developers of ZX Next is enough to understand that it will never work. If such a keyboard is still put into production, then after a short time it will begin to fail extended keys, and in the end You get 3000 computers with partially working keyboard.
You can take that as a prediction of the future. :)
varmfskii wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:03 am
Why are you here at all?
varmfskii, I'm here to predict the possible future. :)

Winfield

Post by Winfield » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:19 am

Black_Cat wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:20 pm
It is funny because everything that the authors of the project are trying to invent, many years ago made by Russian, while at a much higher professional level. And I'm sad that I understand that the authors of the project will destroy it rather than turn to the Russians to get an explanation of how they solved the problem of the keyboard 30 years ago. :)
That's a very fair point :mrgreen:

Now, I'm not saying the original Spectrum design was perfect (case in point, old and second hand ones having problems with the keyboard membranes etc), but how come technology from over 30 years ago is so hard to replicate / improve upon?

Yes, the Kickstarter designers are aiming for perfection (or so they tell us) - but there comes a point when (despite peoples' best efforts) things may not turn out exactly as planned. If perfection was achieved, then the ZX Spectrum Next would be indestructible!

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:04 pm

Black_Cat wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:04 am
I know the solution for the ZX Next keyboard issue. 30 years ago, when I was designing an extended keyboard for my ZX Spectrum clone, the design process took me less than an hour. I know why the developers of ZX Next can't get a keyboard, moreover, I know that they will never be able to make a keyboard using the method they have chosen. This is fundamentally impossible, and it is understood by every real engineer.
Why don't you write to them and see if your input is of any use then?
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2 (also for arcade hardware) & Vallation.
Twitter: Sokurah

SevenFFF

Post by SevenFFF » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:52 pm

He’s been asked to provide input several times, and he won’t!

It reminds me of a teenage goth girl who listens to music so much cooler than everyone else that they’re not allowed to hear it themselves.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel Spectron 2084blog

ohc_turbo

Post by ohc_turbo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:40 pm

i just hope there's a second run limited at least for ones who didn't get in first.. i do agree that the slow process now is the team possibly funding aspects of the case themselves but project is 99% complete so should not be too long, let hope that don't say lets just get the backers there systems and pack it in and call quits