How much longer?

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
SpectrumOldi

Re: How much longer?

Post by SpectrumOldi » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:24 pm

Looks like more and more people are losing faith in ever receiving the Next. Comments both on the FB page and the Kickstarter page tells that. I'm hoping they will finally fix the keyboard and soon start a second KS which I want to back. 2020 is now on the horizon.
"Spectrum Oldie"

RobertS

Post by RobertS » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:43 pm

To the original poster:
I'm reading this rather late. I don't get this kind of question. Why? Two reasons.

1. You are a backer, you get semi-regular updates, you know as much as the project team and the rest of the backers. If you want more information you need a fortune teller.
2. You did not order a product, you backed a project. You are an investor, hoping to get a reward. Investing means you take a risk with your money. If you can't afford to lose your hard earned money than don't invest with it. Put it in a savings account and buy a ZX Spectrum Next from someone when they are available on the market.

That being said, there are no signs whatsoever that this project is not going to deliver the rewards.

SpectrumOldi

Post by SpectrumOldi » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:15 pm

Finally there's light at the end of the tunnel.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... ts/2544900
"Spectrum Oldie"

Winfield

Post by Winfield » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:46 pm

RobertS wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:43 pm
To the original poster:
I'm reading this rather late. I don't get this kind of question. Why? Two reasons.

1. You are a backer, you get semi-regular updates, you know as much as the project team and the rest of the backers. If you want more information you need a fortune teller.
2. You did not order a product, you backed a project. You are an investor, hoping to get a reward. Investing means you take a risk with your money. If you can't afford to lose your hard earned money than don't invest with it. Put it in a savings account and buy a ZX Spectrum Next from someone when they are available on the market.

That being said, there are no signs whatsoever that this project is not going to deliver the rewards.
Without wanting to repeat myself about the points I've already made about my concerns in this thread, my question is this - the basic technology for this project is almost 40 years old, so why on earth is this supposed "new and improved" version taking so long?

As for the project delivering the rewards - well, here we are, still sitting empty handed around 18 months after our "reward" was originally promised.

If I knew when I originally backed the project over 2 years ago that the wait would be so long, then I'd never have bothered backing it in the first place.

I didn't pay money to receive sporadic e-mails from the people I backed telling me about the problems they're having - I paid money for a physical product - hence, it's time for them to deliver...and deliver ASAP.

SevenFFF

Post by SevenFFF » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:47 pm

Demanding that something exists before it does in reality, isn’t going to get you what you want, because reality doesn’t work like that.

Sell your pledge or ask for a refund, if you don’t want to wait any longer. There are a lot of people eager to buy your pledge.

If you ever back another crowdfunding project again, make sure to read the small print. Because you didn’t pay money for a physical product, in this campaign, or any other in the history of crowdfunding. You just thought you did, because you projected your own wishes. But wishes don’t create reality.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel Spectron 2084blog

Black_Cat

Post by Black_Cat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:58 am

SpectrumOldi wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:15 pm
Finally there's light at the end of the tunnel.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... ts/2544900
Well, finally! Happened predicted incredible!
Black_Cat wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:34 pm
Ped7g wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:21 pm
He may be right, technically... but who cares, if the knowledge is encrypted in unknown language completely inaccessible to anyone outside of the original elder tribe, guarding their precious secrets jealously... :D
Unfortunately, this problem is more psychological than technical. I see three possible outcomes for the ZX Next project:

1) Incredible - developers immediately throw obviously wrong method of keyboard development, and use the Russian experience. In this case, after 4 months, users will receive computers with a reliable keyboard.
The developers of ZX Next took advantage of the same solution I came to 30 years ago, spending less than one hour developing the keyboard! It's amazing that it took them 1.5 years to do this, although any qualified engineer would have determined at a glance that it was fundamentally impossible to get a reliably working keyboard using the path they chose. And if the developers of ZX Next before you begin development, examined the modern Russian experience, then a year ago, the kickstarter could get a reliable keyboard, and much better computer than the current ZX Next, which at the engineering level comparable to the "Russian" computers in the period 1997-2000.

varmfskii

Post by varmfskii » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:29 am

Black Cat: As usual, ans as expected, you continue to be just a troll!
Backer #2741 - TS2068, Byte, ZX Evolution

Black_Cat

Post by Black_Cat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:43 am

varmfskii wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:29 am
Black Cat: As usual, ans as expected, you continue to be just a troll!
:) I think that the developers of ZX Next have read my predictions of their future, and made the only right decision. Don't thank me for predicting a future that saved kickstarter users from another year of waiting, or an even more disastrous future. :) As you can see, the truth said in time "And the king is naked!" has done far more good than all your enthusiastic praise.

Winfield

Post by Winfield » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:08 am

SevenFFF wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:47 pm
If you ever back another crowdfunding project again, make sure to read the small print. Because you didn’t pay money for a physical product, in this campaign, or any other in the history of crowdfunding. You just thought you did, because you projected your own wishes.
I'll never be doing that again - if anything, this experience has taught me a lesson, i.e., never part with my hard earned cash over an "idea'...

The team who pitched this project said that they'd manufacture and distribute the ZX Spectrum Next providing sufficient funds were raised. They reached their target goal financially, so as far as I can see, we (the backers) have done our bit - now it's the team's job to make their promise a reality.

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:30 am

Winfield wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:08 am
The team who pitched this project said that they'd manufacture and distribute the ZX Spectrum Next providing sufficient funds were raised. They reached their target goal financially, so as far as I can see, we (the backers) have done our bit - now it's the team's job to make their promise a reality.
Well, they're still working on it ... it's just taking longer than expected.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2 (also for arcade hardware) & Vallation.
Twitter: Sokurah