zx next just the board

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
ohc_turbo

zx next just the board

Post by ohc_turbo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:15 pm

Hi

Have not researched fully but why has production stopped of the zx next board? TB blue? it seems odd that i can't find a board to buy new to put in a old case for near on same as the pledge cost? it seems now the ones who have one are asking 400+ for this making it a scalpers market?

Let me know if I'm wrong but the way its looking is when the next is released were going to get a flurry of £800 plus nexts for sale on big selling sites (scalpers)... due to the scaresness of the boards..

Ped7g

Re: zx next just the board

Post by Ped7g » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:48 pm

The production didn't stop as stop, the production did run precisely to cover only needs of the first kickstarter campaign (about 500 boards, and 3000 cased Nexts).

There are plans to start second KS campaign after the first one will be finalized (cased Nexts shipped), so if you want Next, you can get one in the second kickstarter.

There are no plans (funds) to run regular production of this, the market is too niche, so the manufacturing costs are not competitive, regular customers will not pay $300 for weird retro computer when they can buy high quality ARM notebook for $150-250...

About people selling their pledges or boards in auctions... it's offer vs demand, if there are people willing to pay £800 for such board, who are you to criticize that? I personally would never pay so much for Next board, that thing is kinda nice retro nostalgia, but ffs it's more just like toy for adult kids than anything else, but I have no issue with somebody else wanting to spend their money as they wish (and thinking about it differently than me).

If you want one for "official" price, just join the kickstarter campaign (the second one, once it will open).

Ped7g

Post by Ped7g » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:54 pm

One more thing... the majority of project was promised to be open sourced, i.e. the board schematics, and FPGA firmware will be available, so you can produce your own board yourself any time. AFAIK the case itself will be not opensourced, and the "Sinclair" brand can be used only under special conditions, but as long as you want to manufacture and sell TBBlue boards, you can do that, after the project will be fully delivered (including these sources).

So if there will be enough demand, maybe somebody will produce these outside of kickstarter campaigns... but I wouldn't bet my money on that.

ohc_turbo

Post by ohc_turbo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:26 pm

i can understand why they chose the board would not be produced in line and open while the kickstarter remains active as its was an option for cost reasons to the kickstarter, but in a ideal world the process from kick start to finish would be quick (say 1 year max) what this has left us is a lapse with boards only produced and not have a extreme value much higher that their worth. i don't think the people who bought the pledge for next and just the board would be bothered if the board was made available again.

why don't the makers make the desision to say the just the board open again even if its just to keep funds running for the full boxed next? - does not seem why the makers are not doing this? not really thinking abut the profits made? it would create profits for them and keep the community more interested?

Ped7g

Post by Ped7g » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:06 am

I'm not sure you have correct idea where their profit lies, as basically whole core team does this as volunteers, except the hired professionals for particular tasks (I think for example Rick was regularly hired as production designer, same goes with manufacturing companies creating the boards, cases, keyboard and boxes). Would they deliver the thing in the expected date, maybe they would have some profit, and I have no idea where those money would go, but considering how long they are now paying extra for the storage of boards, and the extra costs of membrane with two new wires and assembling of it, I guess this whole project is already non-profit endeavour, or subsidized from the pockets of Henrique&co.

So any other kickstarter and manufacturing is just burden onto the lifetime of the core team members, and the first kickstarter, with all the issues the cased Next had, is already taxing too much of that. So there's nobody left to prepare another kickstarter and get the manufacturing and shipping going, all the team is focusing on delivering cased Next now.

You may be completely right about creating more interest/etc... but things happen when people *do* them, and when there's nobody to do it, things will not happen. No matter how much common sense it may make and how nice it would be.

Now you voiced your opinion, maybe somebody from core team may like the idea enough to jump on it... (who knows, I'm not part of core team, and I don't know those people very well, so all of the things above are my own speculations, and I may be wrong)

Edit: as far as my personal pledge for cased Next goes, I wouldn't mind if they would start another board-only run before delivering cased Nexts from first campaign, so I basically agree with you.
I just don't think they can manage that in their current team and available time, so I don't expect anything major will change, especially now, when the cased Next is hopefully only months away. And then they will surely focus on second KS with full power (maybe even adding some board-only offering, although cased Nexts will be priority, and I think that's good thing, I would love the total amount of cased machines to reach at least 10k).

sol_hsa

Post by sol_hsa » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:01 am

For something similar, but it exactly like "just the board" of specnext, look up "zx dos". It uses the same fpga as specnext.

ohc_turbo

Post by ohc_turbo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:06 pm

thanks for the info guys - lets hope it does reach 10K plus and the team gets al the profit deserved for their hard work. eating on the second run to happen.

out of interest i think al the hype of the next has drove up the prices of normal models especially 16/48K early and 128K toastrack which is good for some

skape

Post by skape » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:43 pm

@ohc_turbo: FYI: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1395
Backer number 1385