Music Creation on the Next

Discuss ZX Spectrum Next Games, Tools and more.
80sNos

Music Creation on the Next

Post by 80sNos » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:35 pm

Are there any plans for anyone to develop music creation software on the Next?

I'm not really a fan of Trackers, mainly because I haven't had many enjoyable experiences with them, but something like Music Maestro on the Spectrum or Quartet on the ST, where you put notes on a stave, I find really simple.

Would love to get back to being more hands on music wise.
Backer 369.

RetroRusty

Re: Music Creation on the Next

Post by RetroRusty » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:28 pm

I would prefer tracker software as I find them easier to use.

I think it would be good for anyone working on any music software for the Next to post it in here.

I would love to know if anyone is working on a tracker that supports the 3 x AY3, SID and FM that the Next is going to have.

I know that Lyndon Sharp is using openMPT for DreamWorld Pogie and then converting it to work with the Next. Not sure how he is doing this, but I'm sure he will explain it at some point.

johey

Post by johey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:37 pm

I am working on a tracker supporting 3xAY and SID. It is in early state of development, or rather design phase. The design is based on a modular mindset making it somewhat straight forward to add support for other chips as well.

During development I am creating a mockup in Python, but the idea is to make the real deal running on the Spectrum Next hardware.

Hopefully I will have a partly working release ready by the end of this year, but I won't make any promises. Meanwhile, I am open for feature suggestions.

RetroRusty

Post by RetroRusty » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:20 pm

johey wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:37 pm
I am working on a tracker supporting 3xAY and SID. It is in early state of development, or rather design phase. The design is based on a modular mindset making it somewhat straight forward to add support for other chips as well.

During development I am creating a mockup in Python, but the idea is to make the real deal running on the Spectrum Next hardware.

Hopefully I will have a partly working release ready by the end of this year, but I won't make any promises. Meanwhile, I am open for feature suggestions.
That is awesome to hear. I think a PC based tracker would be good to get things going though. Not sure if you plan on completing your PC version but either PC or Next in fine. I would love to see/help test it when it comes to that point.

johey

Post by johey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:01 pm

The Python mock will probably be usable as an editor, but I'm not that motivated spending time trying to make it sound right. From what I have seen so far, the Next looks pretty comfortable to use, so I think it will make a really good music workstation. Beside, I am designing a live performance mode, so real hardware makes even more sense. :)

KyotoG

Post by KyotoG » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:43 am

I'm working on a music editor that will run on the Next. It's early days but I have a basic sound sequencer (1xAY ADSR, Tremolo, Vibrato, Arpeggiator), and a simple note editor in the style of a modern DAW's piano roll (Cubase to be specific). I'm currently running in an emulator with Timex hicolour hode, and will expand the player once I get my hands on a board.

johey

Post by johey » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:58 am

The more the merrier. :D

robpearmain

Post by robpearmain » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:31 pm

How is this progressing, happy to test
Rob Pearmain
Bipboi (Zx Spectrum 48k), Harry Hedgehog (ZX Spectrum [1K]), Luna C (PC), Turbotoons (PC)

ZX Spectrum 48k, +, 128k, Next (board)

Targhan

Post by Targhan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:46 am

Hi all,

I am the developer of Arkos Tracker 2, a brand new tracker on PC, Mac and Linux, targetted to Amstrad CPC (my main machine), Spectrum, MSX and many others. Arkos Tracker 1 was windows only (released in 2009), but I re-coded the whole thing recently, and a first alpha version has been released, check this out here. AT2 does not have any limit to how many channels can be used in a song!

I am currently finishing the last of the three players (hope to release a new version by the end of the month). They only target the CPC for now, but I plan on adapting them for Spectrum, MSX and others just after.

According to the documentation I read, it should be easy to adapt my player to the Spectrum Next. I already have a 9-channel player ready, because on CPC we have an extension hardware called PlayCity to play up to 9 channels.

I will probably get back here to find some folks to test the player, since I don't have the hardware (any emulator existing anywhere??).

A question : Some people also refer to a SID chip, but I don't find anything about it in the documentation. Is it something the Spectrum Next has? However, Arkos Tracker will not target this, as this is not really the aim of this tracker.

Thanks and see you soon,
Targhan/Arkos.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:19 am

Targhan your tracker looks very attractive. I've been watching for a while and look forward to getting it to work with the next :)