zx spectrum next

Everything that is not ZX Spectrum Next goes here. Get ready for the Nostalgia!

mitja_i

Re: zx spectrum next

Post by mitja_i » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:38 am

rogerjowett please give some context for these links...
Backer 423 @ 37% funded 29 days left
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

rogerjowett

Post by rogerjowett » Thu May 02, 2019 5:15 pm

sure will as you asked nicely...
no1 is the fullscreen animation i did running on sim coupe the sam coupe emulator now 6 years old and so far only one person has used my technique (well i used bmp2scr and about five other programs ) so that Anton Javorcek has managed to do one with a sample too: pity the sample isn't a bit clearer or an amiga mod!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDe1U7A7yGk

2. the fruitcake link is for the spectra interface which adds some new screen modes and a second scart socket for zx spectrums - fantastic but - it doesn't include the timex hi rez mode 512x192 which is a pity asd it has 32kb of fast dual ported video ram so in theory we just need someone to implement the vdp 9959 of the msx turbo R with its 192kb of fast dual ported video ram or even better a scart INPUT socket so that we can combine the video output from more than one spectrum running in parallel wouldn't that be nice!

rogerjowett

Post by rogerjowett » Thu May 02, 2019 5:19 pm

3. the prism link is another interesting zx spectrum hardware link that has maybe 56mhz and audio capabilities but for some god forsaken reason only 32kb of video ram daft no if it had 64kb it could do interlaced graphics double the vertical resolution be nice if the next had an extra 48kb of video ram too wouldn't it then we'd be playing with 256x384 and in hi rez mode the 512x384 and with 16 colours that would be nicer than the sam hi rez mode which only has four colours until someone figures out how to use the hmpr bits 5&6 to change the four sets of four colours on each scan line...

4.ula+ website well this has 512x192 supported and also 8 pixel attributes like the timex hi colour and sam mode 2 there doesn't seem to be much information about the colour palette size though i think it is only 64 colours like the spectra interface - what a pity the next doesn't have more than 512 colour palette as 4096 would let her compete with the amiga and 24bit tru colour would compete with pc's

rogerjowett

Post by rogerjowett » Thu May 02, 2019 5:24 pm

5. interlaced graphics form our old adversary velesoft who has a facebook page dedicated to using this technique but so far no software conversions as yet be nice to see next using interlaced mode though that would need two sets of 48kb of video ram so the dma would be rather busy shifting all that ram from ram into video ram as i assume that is the only way to perform such a task despite the fact that even the 128k machines all had TWO yes two video ram banks and so can perform interlace with only a single out mnemonic...

6. well this is pure class a sample and a fullscreen animation running form a tap file in emulators that use hyper tape loading - just think if the mic socket was in stereo we could have loaded 256kb in five minutes on sam mind you sam never had hi density disk drives unlike the zx spectrum and the MB-02+ disk interface that also boasts a DMA and therefore is capable of 8 pixel attribute screens$ using the dma and interlaced on the 128 or spectra ula + add ons

rogerjowett

Post by rogerjowett » Thu May 02, 2019 5:30 pm

7. even the spectranet - which doesn't have an sd card reader or even a compact flash one can stream 6kb per frame - we would seriously need to more than double/ quadruple - then multiply by a factor of eight this speed for fullscreen animation on the next - making the machine unable to dfo this means we loose out on all the video disk software like starblade/bike dragons lair and space ace - all of which if you ask me personally were rubbish as the playability was not like a video game but more like one of those books with various options...

8. prick ghastley looks a bit out of focus not sure how this was achieved or why really but it shows what you can do if you try and i tried 6 years ago and now going thru the process of using windows media player classic and then camtasia studio and then bmp2scr and then a python script just to get an atom lite file that is over 29mb in size and therefore 39 disk records big all seems like a waste of time especially if you receive half the abuse i have been on the receiving end of ....

rogerjowett

Post by rogerjowett » Thu May 02, 2019 5:38 pm

9. velesoft tried to communicate with him after driving to prague but he couldn't be bothered to communicate with me pity would have loved to buy a few datagear DMA for the sam coupe or zx spectrum

10. mb-02+ hi density - but not extended density as yet but has DMA and therefore multitech screen$ which is 8 pixel attributes over full screen like timex hi colour mode 2 on sam - think only sphera made use of it as sam didn't have hardware scrolling unlike the next which does but doesn't seem to have anything other than a faster processor for 3d graphics and all of these used 3d vectors:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... loadpics=1

tha is 123 titles and i would argue that most of them were more challenging than the rest of the 2d software

rogerjowett

Post by rogerjowett » Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 pm

11. byte delight has a hdmi interface that uses a raspberry pie as the hdmi output source what a pity it cant be used as a parallel processor for zx spectrum with its gpu it must be able to handle 1080p graphics no?