First steps into Z88DK...and many more to come!

Discuss game and other programming topics not specifically covered in another forum

Moderator: Programming Moderators

SevenFFF

Re: First steps into Z88DK...and many more to come!

Post by SevenFFF » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi Samus, yes Godaddy were reasonably helpful. I had to talk to them a couple of times, and they did what I needed. I also forgot to cancel my renewal for another domain, and they refunded it without question when I called.

For what it's worth, my wife organised the wedding of the guy who owns it. Apparently everyone calls him Daddy, without a trace of irony...

I personally think the game loop is the best way. The Next is fast enough at 14MHz to do 50fps. It also has extra methods to make syncing easier, so you almost get the best of both worlds.

There's a raster interrupt you can set on any of the 312 video lines, and you can also query the current video line from non-interrupt code, which is easier than trying to do floating bus-style tricks.

You can also program the copper to wait for a particular video line and character column before doing stuff, and you can lock the DMA to the turbo rate, making playing audio samples easier when the turbo rate changes (at 14MHz, it drops down to 7MHz while the raster is over the pixel area, to avoid timing problems reading the Layer 2 RAM).
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel Spectron 2084blog

SamusDrake

Post by SamusDrake » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:21 pm

I have to say, Robin, Godaddy does seem a solid service. And thats a interesting story you have there - organising any wedding must a real pain. For the time being I'm going to play along with Ehost( transferring to JustHost ), but really digging around I think Godaddy makes a lot of sense for domain names at least. I'm considering another dn for a second site...

I've spent the night setting up Retro Pie on my RPi-3, and its making a lot of sense for homebrew. Theres a Spectrum menu on RetroPie, and I wonder if they can play Next games...

SamusDrake

Post by SamusDrake » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:57 pm

Its been a while. VR is hungry work and I've returned to all things retro for a break...

Rolled the sleeves up and learning Z80 assembly proper with the tutorials on Chibi Akumas. While that site is great, I am thankful for the help I got here last year. I ought to backup the work here to Github, just in case.

Explored the Amiga by means of Amiban and a Pi 3. While I doubt I'd have the skill to make games in assembly, I would like to at least practice 68000 assembly, all the same. I feel learning the Z80 first is a good foundation for when that time comes...

While I'm mostly doing VR work now(Oculus Go + Unity), the influence for that game project is the old Freescape games such as Castle Master and Driller. Very fond memory of reading the YS review for 3D Construction Kit and wishing I had a copy for the old Spectrum. Would be nice if there was a Next version...

Finally got ZEsarUX working! Had a muck around with Castle Master on turbo(omg, its fast!), so not that familar with it yet. It would be cool if there was a Raspberry Pi distrobution that turned the Pi into a Speccy Next, should there not be another run. A year on, and I wonder what state z88dk is in with regards to Next support...as I think I should be able to manage a small game with the platform. ^_^

Does the next still use traditional spectrum memory for the screen and attributes or would that be all new? Very exciting times!

Ped7g

Post by Ped7g » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:33 pm

SamusDrake wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:57 pm
Does the next still use traditional spectrum memory for the screen and attributes or would that be all new? Very exciting times!
The classic ZX graphics mode is still available, but there are many new options.

Some are still "classic" like the "Timex" modes which were introduced with the TS2068 (Spectrum clone with some changes) (the HiColor mode which has attributes per 8x1 pixels = each byte of pixels has its own byte for attributes, HiRes mode having 512x192 half-width pixels having even more crazy memory scheme than original) => these are mutually exclusive replacement to the classic mode.

Some are "new" modes, but replacing the classic ULA mode, like LoRes 128x96 256 colour and similar LoRes 128x96 16 colour mode.

Some are extra modes, which can be also combined together with original modes, composing them with different order/priority (and having transparent cutout in particular mode to show the layers below).

"Layer 2" mode = 256x192 256 colour mode (one byte = one pixel, simple linear framebuffer = 48kiB)

"Tile-mode" = lives around ULA mode (in the same memory bank) and has many options how to set it up, but probably the most beefed (and memory demanding) config is 640x256 resolution 80x32 tiles with attribute (resolution is like Timex 512x192 but with extra 32px up/down into border and 64px left/right into border, i.e. pixels are "half-width" compared to regular ULA mode) with 16 colour tiles graphics from 256 palette...
(maybe the simplest way to describe to get the idea is "like VGA text mode")

All of them have now support for HW scrolling.

And there are HW sprites available.... (256 colour, pixel resolution same as ULA mode, but they can go 32px deep into border area)
(sprites have again many possible configurations, but there can be 128 entities on screen without multiplexing, with "64 to 128" graphic patterns (depending if you want to use 8bit or 4bit graphics, 8bit eats sprite-gfx-pattern memory twice as fast)

So depending what you want to do, and how many new things you want to learn, you have quite some options how to configure Next.

The new modes are mostly very friendly to newcomer programmers, and putting some simple static-like 256 colour background with 16x16 sprites over it is viable even in BASIC, some simple classic games are sort of "easy" to do (compared to classic ZX and it's video ram and SW sprites).

SamusDrake

Post by SamusDrake » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:29 pm

Good to know it gets easier when moving on from the classic speccy display. Thank you kindly. ^_^