Spectrum Next: Status of production

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
Eratosthenes

Spectrum Next: Status of production

Post by Eratosthenes » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:04 pm

Moin, moin!

Sorry that I add my thread here, but I don't know where to put it else... - As possibly some of the Next-involved developers may read this thread, it would be very nice to get a bit more info about the status of the project.

It's nice to see pre-series models being presented at a convention, but it would be very nice to get more detailed info about the main production run. - Does anybody know, if the last/final? "pre-series production run" has been successful? If so: What about the status of the main production run of the ZX Spectrum Next?

THNX 4 the info.

MfL
der Eratosthenes

mitja_i

Re: Spectrum Next: Status of production

Post by mitja_i » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:38 pm

Mike on FB: There certainly won’t be a Big Bang. Production and shipping will happen over an unspecified duration, several weeks perhaps. It may be possible to sneak some units out before Xmas and we’re very mindful of Chinese New Year coming around again. So we want to make sure every China component is in the UK by then.
Fingers crossed, a KS update today or tomorrow explaining where things are up to.
Backer 423 @ 37% funded 29 days left
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

Alcoholics Anonymous

Re: Spectrum Next: Status of production

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:19 am

A KS update has just come out.

The first 1000 keyboards and cases are being air shipped to the UK to get the assembly running as soon as possible. It is hoped that this means the first nexts will be shipped before Christmas. The assembly process can only put out x units per week as it's too expensive to assemble faster. So machines will be shipping over some period and this is why the staggered shipping makes sense. Christmas is coming up which means assembly pauses at sms and chinese new year is coming up which means stuff from there stops. There should be plenty of time for everything to be shipped out of china before the chinese new year.