there be cores

Time to talk about what other machines can run on the Next hardware!
mitja_i

there be cores

Postby mitja_i » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:09 pm

https://gitlab.com/victor.trucco/zx-spe ... ster/Cores

DISCLAIMER: These cores are provided AS-IS and they're not officially supported by the Author or SpecNext Ltd.
Backer 423 @ 37% funded, 10th hour. Base version. Shipping nr. 533. Received February 19, 2020.
Backer 1027 @ 141% funded, 10th minute.

Original 48K (issue 4b) with IF1, two microdrives and vDrive.
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

jonarvid

Re: there be cores

Postby jonarvid » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:45 pm

I managed to flash and use the Acorn Atom and the ZX Spec 128k cores, but it seems that when cores require other files (other than the core file that is flashed) on the SD, I'm unable to get then to work. It's probably just that I don't know what is needed and where to put it.

So I'm waiting for someone to put up some sort of tutorial :D

Edit, got the Amstrad core running as well. Seems like throwing a lot of stuff onto the root folder of the SD is a possible trick 8-)

biged

Postby biged » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:29 pm

Did you find out what files to place where? Details please!

biged

Postby biged » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:08 pm

I tried the Atom core from the new collection, and that worked fine. I tried the CPC core, and it just cleared the screen to a pattern of stripes. I wondered if I needed to place some file somewhere for it to boot.

chris

Postby chris » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:00 pm

biged wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:08 pm
I tried the Atom core from the new collection, and that worked fine. I tried the CPC core, and it just cleared the screen to a pattern of stripes. I wondered if I needed to place some file somewhere for it to boot.
Did you put the contents of https://gitlab.com/victor.trucco/zx-spe ... D_card.zip into the root of the SD card? (I assume root, the manual says alt core files should go into machines/<machine name>, but as these are not polished official cores I don't think that applies)

biged

Postby biged » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:26 pm

Thanks - that's got it working! (Indeed, in the root. Just the *.rom files wasn't enough, it needed the *.dsk too, or at least one of them.)

chris

Postby chris » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:43 am

Cool, I'm keen to try these at some point but was waiting for a core I was more interested in :)

soydemadrid

Postby soydemadrid » Sun May 10, 2020 7:55 pm

Ok just to add to this thread as I'm a big Amstrad CPC fanboy :)

To get the cpc core to work (and probably the others) you have to basically add the Amstrad CPC6128.bit file to your /machines/cpc/ folder and rename it CORE.BIT

Then extract the sdcard zip to the root of your Next SD Card so that the game dsk images and the rom files are on there.

Then slow power reset the Next and hold C on boot to get the Alternative Cores menu, then you can add the CPC core to a free slot there.

And that seems to get it running. The first problem is there is no HDMI support so you have to use a VGA cable, and the other big issue seems to be no keyboard support so you have to plug in an external ps/2 keyboard too.

My third issue was then that I also had some problems with dsk images that I added, some wouldn't CAT and show their contents, however all the demo ones provided in the sdcard.zip do seem to work ok (though not all fully load up on running them)...

So the CPC core is nice to see working but hopefully one day it will be fully integrated and use the hdmi and keyboard and have more features hopefully :)

DanyPPC

Postby DanyPPC » Mon May 11, 2020 6:24 am

Indeed I want to get Phoenix Arcade to work, but I don't know if I must provide the original rom too not zipped and in what dir.
There aren't info or instructions on the gitlab page.

On MiST fpga the Phoenix core works by itself.

Can anyone help me ? Thanks

chris

Postby chris » Mon May 11, 2020 8:39 am

All the arcade cores (except the Pacman one) are self-contained. You'll need to stand on your head or something though as they run vertical orientation!

I'm hoping Victor will go back and update these to use the new scheme that the Pacman one uses, so all the similar hardware only takes one slot and you can press R to rotate.