BBC - can somebody explain the rationale around using a separate SD card?

Time to talk about what other machines can run on the Next hardware!
biged

Re: BBC - can somebody explain the rationale around using a separate SD card?

Postby biged » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:47 pm

SevenFFF wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:18 pm
Having tried reformatting my card and copying on BEEB.MMB first, it's really not that difficult, and you should only ever need to do it once. I tend to think it will be easier in the long run than running with two cards. Particularly when we get the new multicore menu system released, and people will be able to configure booting straight into alt cores like BeebFPGA.
Sounds great. Interestingly enough, we're presently using NextBasic to preload some of the RAM with ROM images, because there's not enough space in the bitstream to contain all the ROMs. We don't presently have the machinery to preload the ROM images from SD Card after configuration.

(Edit: There could be space in the bitstream, but there isn't space in the slot, as programmed by the alternate core updater. Maybe there could be a way to get supporting data loaded into the EEPROM without complexifying the slot mechanism too much?)

Camel

Postby Camel » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:48 pm

I've tried the two-card shuffle and it works perfectly fine. It is a bit of a faff though when you want to switch back to Next and forget to change cards back.

It's been worth the effort as the BBC core is excellent. I'm new to the world of the Beeb so I've no real idea what I'm doing but booting stuff from the BEEB.MBB is a cinch once everything is in place.

biged

Postby biged » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:06 pm

Glad it's working for you! There's a huge amount to explore.

chris

Postby chris » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:22 pm

Hmm, so after formatting a new card and moving everything across in the correct order, I ran fatsort on it to ensure my tonnes of Spectrum games showed up in the right order.
Result: the BBC core still couldn't find BEEB.MMB
So, thinking logically, I ran fatsort again, this time with "-o f" (alongside the -c -n I was already using) switch. This puts files at the top of the list, so should ensure BEEB.MMB is one of the first in the root.
Result: it worked!

So, you should be able to just copy the file and run fatsort, rather than formatting and copying everything in the right order.
I'm not sure I like directories at the bottom, but largely for my Next SD card, it's only root affected (and I can put !altcore.bas right at the top for ease of getting into the alternative core)

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi Chris,
chris wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:22 pm
So, you should be able to just copy the file and run fatsort, rather than formatting and copying everything in the right order.
I'm not sure I like directories at the bottom, but largely for my Next SD card, it's only root affected (and I can put !altcore.bas right at the top for ease of getting into the alternative core)
As well as running fatsort, you also need to make sure the BEEB.MMB file has not been fragmented.

You can do this by running the following from the Spec Next command line:

Code: Select all

.defrag beeb.mmb
Dave