Cores not listed in the FAQ you would like to see on Next

Time to talk about what other machines can run on the Next hardware!
mitja_i

Re: Cores not listed in the FAQ you would like to see on Next

Post by mitja_i » Tue May 30, 2017 11:16 am

QL
Backer 423 @ 37% funded 29 days left
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

SpecNoob

Post by SpecNoob » Tue May 30, 2017 11:34 am

BBC-B, Dragon 32, QL and SAM Coupé cores would be nice.

I'd like to see the Spectrum list (Most likely just the 48K) have options for all the hardware devices that did drums or speech.

All I remember as a kid, was the Cheetah SpecDrum and the DK'Tronics Speech Synthesiser. I remember looking at them in the magazines, and wondering if I'd be able to convince my parents to get me them for Christmas. I never did manage to. Far to expensive for my parents back in the day, just for a Christmas present at least.

It seems though the Currah MicroSpeech is actually supported in a fair few games. It would be nice to hear them after all these years.

I've no idea what's what, I just grabbed a list from WOS. Of course, it would be nice for anything like those what were built for other machines as well - like the BBC, C64 and ZX81.

Drums
-------
Cheetah SpecDrum

Speech
--------
Currah MicroSpeech
DCP S-Pack
DCP Speech Pack
DK'Tronics Speech Synthesiser
Fuller Orator
Personal Speech System
Spectrum Speech Synthesiser
SS1 Speech Synthesiser
ZXS Speech Synthesiser
Last edited by SpecNoob on Tue May 30, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lgb

Post by lgb » Tue May 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Nomen Luni wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 8:02 pm
Enterprise 64/128.

I didn't even know they existed until I saw one running Commando in Manchester a few years ago. It looked like an awesome little machine too. Too bad they're so rare.
It's indeed a nice machine, especially in Hungary it was popular (since unfortunately EP was not a global success it happened what the deal was with Commodore Plus 4 too: "let's sell it then in countries where people happy about almost everything which is a computer at least" ...). I've already tried some "learning VHDL" like experiments on Digilent Nexys4 board (Xilinx Artix-7 FPGA) with more simple Z80 based computers (eg the Hungarian Primo), but there is an issue with Enterprise: it's hard to do, as its video chip (Nick) is "too flexible" ie, even the vertical sync is in the hands of programmer and that is often used for various tricks. So there is no "standard" (defined by hardware) frame time etc. It's really hard to do then for generating valid VGA signal, though it's possible to create PAL composite/S-video/RGB signal as was the case with the original hardware too. No idea about HDMI, as I don't have one on Nexys4. Maybe a video frame buffer should be defined, what Nick fills, and that should be scanned by the VGA signal generator, but the result can be interesting, especially if "strange" LPT (Line Parameter Table, used by Nick to define every scanline by the programmer even with different colour and video modes for each!) is used.

Hairydalek

Post by Hairydalek » Tue May 30, 2017 1:21 pm

BBC Micro and its siblings for me.

Timbucus

Post by Timbucus » Tue May 30, 2017 9:06 pm

Vote for QL, Currah Microspeech and the Dragon 32 .... in fact anything really...

How about a few floppy chips so we can hookup old drives with a suitable cable run through a slot from the GPIO expansion... for cores other than the Spectrum where the original interface can be used mainly - although even there it might be useful fro those without - or with blow up DISCiPLE's like me :(
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

Laxer3A

Post by Laxer3A » Tue May 30, 2017 9:29 pm

lgb : I start to like the Entreprise a lot by the way you describe the hardware :-)

I think it should not be a problem : the original chipset had to have a FIXED clock somewhere (dynamic pixel clocking seems too generous for a computer of that age).
Generating video signal based on dynamic condition (Hsync, VSync etc...) should not be a problem. (I am myself a graphic chip with such programmable registers)

NightShadowPT

Post by NightShadowPT » Wed May 31, 2017 8:36 am

I believe this FPGA is powerful enough to have an Amiga core, but from the 8 bit ones:

Sam Coupe
Amstrad CPC
---------------------------------------------
ZX Spectrum 48K // ZX Spectrum + // ZX Spectrum 128 // ZX Spectrum +2 // Timex 2048 // Mist FPGA // ZX Spectrum Vega + (some day) // ZX Spectrum Next (on its way)

Croccy22

Post by Croccy22 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:54 am

Kitty wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 9:50 pm
Do you have a link anywhere to download those Fred Disk Magazines?
The name reminds me of Fred Fish disks on Amiga ;)
Try here: http://www.worldofsam.org/node/150

Any while you are there be sure you check out the Duck Hunt game on FRED 55 LOL. My claim to fame :P

Matt.

Spectron

Post by Spectron » Wed May 31, 2017 12:08 pm

MohammedHabib wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 8:14 pm
PC Engine / Turbografx 16 is my favorite game console. I wish to see it running on the ZX Spectrum Next.
Indeed. Even Turrican was brilliant :)

Maher

Post by Maher » Wed May 31, 2017 4:24 pm

The Texas Instruments TI-99/4A

It was known as a pioneer in speech synthesis, and a highly popular plug-in speech synthesizer