Booting backwards...

Time to talk about what other machines can run on the Next hardware!
MrEUser

Booting backwards...

Post by MrEUser » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:07 pm

I was interested to find out that there is a WiFi version of the Pi Zero (Pi Zero W). I started thinking about putting this in the corprocessor slot. Then of course I started to wonder....

Could one boot Linux from the coprocessor and use a desktop version of Linux to boot the Speccy (no, not run emulated, but on hardware as normal)? This would allow “recording” of audio and video from the Speccy while using it, reboots/restarts by forcing it from Linux, and potentially networking from the coprocessor...

Northernbob

Re: Booting backwards...

Post by Northernbob » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:40 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=95

might help(ish) :?:

Timbucus

Post by Timbucus » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Working on a thread on facebook as well on the topic:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/specnex ... 636685995/

State so far for non facebookers:
Antonio Ruggiero

If and when the Pizero will be used as a multipurpose coprocessor in different compartments (debug, in game AI opposing to player, etc) could be loaded in its Os Sd, or straight in its ram, additional code on the fly directly via WiFi? Victor Trucco, to your kind attention.
Tim Gilberts

I was thinking about this over the the last few days as well to allow the use a rPI0w for on Next software development. The minimum option would be the ability for the custom bare metal OS to be able to change the boot option from a Spectrum write of some kind - this would trigger a reload into a full PI/OS listening on wifi for logins - then a Spectrum Terminal prog can use it... it is trivial within the PI then to trigger the change back on a reboot. It could be done without the W but, would need some clever tricks in the standard PI OS to communicate back with the Spectrum (some form of daemon listening for mailbox comms from a decoded I/O port. Or perhaps an internal serial port link but, I think that is used by the wifi module...
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

x24b

Post by x24b » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:00 pm

MrEUser wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:07 pm
I was interested to find out that there is a WiFi version of the Pi Zero (Pi Zero W). I started thinking about putting this in the corprocessor slot. Then of course I started to wonder....

Could one boot Linux from the coprocessor and use a desktop version of Linux to boot the Speccy (no, not run emulated, but on hardware as normal)? This would allow “recording” of audio and video from the Speccy while using it, reboots/restarts by forcing it from Linux, and potentially networking from the coprocessor...
YouTubers would find this helpful. Interesting.
Backer №2590 ZX Spectrum Next
Backer №372 Crash!
Order №544 Accelerated ZX Spectrum Next

Timbucus

Post by Timbucus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:27 pm

x24b wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:00 pm
MrEUser wrote:

Not sure about the Audio as that is not connected but, as the original purpose of the PI was to act as the HDMI display it MAY be possible but, possibly only with original Speccy graphics modes. The caveat is that to handle Next features it would have to keep up with a lot as it would have to mirror the sprite writes to IO, emulate them etc etc - i.e. as it is NOT now the graphics accelerator it would probably demand too many resources not to do it with the bare metal O/S that Victor created - i.e. it would not really be just recording it would end up emulating some of the graphics rendering happening in the FPGA hardware.
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

x24b

Post by x24b » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:35 pm

Timbucus wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:27 pm
x24b wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:00 pm
MrEUser wrote:

Not sure about the Audio as that is not connected but, as the original purpose of the PI was to act as the HDMI display it MAY be possible but, possibly only with original Speccy graphics modes. The caveat is that to handle Next features it would have to keep up with a lot as it would have to mirror the sprite writes to IO, emulate them etc etc - i.e. as it is NOT now the graphics accelerator it would probably demand too many resources not to do it with the bare metal O/S that Victor created - i.e. it would not really be just recording it would end up emulating some of the graphics rendering happening in the FPGA hardware.
Old Saying:
" I see,said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw."

Thanks.
Backer №2590 ZX Spectrum Next
Backer №372 Crash!
Order №544 Accelerated ZX Spectrum Next