Organisation to get other FPGA core working...

Time to talk about what other machines can run on the Next hardware!
Laxer3A

Organisation to get other FPGA core working...

Post by Laxer3A » Mon May 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi !

I would like to take the opportunity that the forum is not flooded yet to start a thread about using all our common power in an efficient manner.
There are a tons of topics, but concerning FPGA I could foresee the following :

A - Modification of the official cores when they are available. (That may be integrated officially if good later on ?...)
Just an example : hardware breakpoint in Z80 ? Extend some Z80 feature to allow easier programming or debug ?

B - Project doing new core added to the next for the fun. (Audio, graphic, etc...)
An example : Supporting new graphics modes, or some russian clones extensions not supported yet.

C - Complete Porting of other systems (amstrad, atari xl, msx, etc you name it...)

For any of those, I think that :

- The source code should be available for anyone to rebuild when a porting is done to the Next board. a Git server being something necessary I believe. No point in releasing only binaries also. In the case of porting other systems, may be somebody will do a modification to some VHDL / Verilog somewhere on an other project on the net, I think we should try to avoid wasting time reinventing the wheel.

- It would be nice if all the people able to do FPGA dev could discuss together how to optimize and dispatch their time spent, avoiding doing the same thing twice. So porting of many projects could happen in a flash, discuss trouble and issues together.

I do not know how many of the people coming to the Next have knowledge in FPGA (Verilog or VHDL or both, other system ?), but hope we could use our knowledge, skills and time in an efficient manner that would be beneficial to everybody, even if we have to restrain ourselves a bit from tinkering and play with our own sandboxes only...

Cheers, and welcome aboard !
Romain

Laxer3A

Re: Organisation to get other FPGA core working...

Post by Laxer3A » Mon May 29, 2017 8:23 pm

BTW, all the core released for Multicore by Victor Trucco have no sources... (Vivado or ISE project files + VHDL / Verilog + Constraint files)
Is there any plan to release those ? :-)

It is kind of proving my point already about reinventing the wheel if outside project (ex : Amstrad or Oric design get a bug fix somewhere on the internet) and we are stuck with the binary : we have to restart the port from scratch...

vtrucco

Post by vtrucco » Mon May 29, 2017 8:32 pm

Laxer3A wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 8:23 pm
BTW, all the core released for Multicore by Victor Trucco have no sources... (Vivado or ISE project files + VHDL / Verilog + Constraint files)

It is kind of proving my point already about reinventing the wheel if outside project (ex : Amstrad or Oric design get a bug fix somewhere on the internet) and we are stuck with the binary : we have to restart the port from scratch...
Yes, all the source codes of any of our work will be available at some point. Examples, dot commands, TBBlue, Multicore source and so.

Laxer3A

Post by Laxer3A » Mon May 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Thanks for you very fast reply Mr Trucco :).

You are probably very busy with the stuff to do right now.
I am not rushing you in anything, but it is nice to have an official confirmation about other cores too, I bet we do not need those until the boards are out anyway ! :+1:

And as soon as everything is released, it will also make you able to focus on things that only you are able to do, and let other people handle all non-next related platform, which will be a time saver for you too, not being the bottleneck anymore. :)

fordp2002

Post by fordp2002 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:01 am

vtrucco wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 8:32 pm
Laxer3A wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 8:23 pm

Yes, all the source codes of any of our work will be available at some point. Examples, dot commands, TBBlue, Multicore source and so.
Now boards are in people's hands now is the time to release the technical details required to design other cores. The wiki would be a good place.

How is the raspberry pi connected?

I think I was the first person to come up with the idea of connecting the Pi Zero as an accelerator. I came up with the idea the very day the zero was made public.

GarRiney

Post by GarRiney » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:14 pm

Hi...as per my knowledge more complex distribution strategies are necessary if creators are distributing configurable IP, targeting specific implementation technologies, or for licensing reasons. An IP packaging tool is necessary so that end users can generate the specific version of the IP they need, target it to their choice of FPGA, and get a licensed file for integration. Tools such as Synopsys’ Synplify can ingest all the IP files created by an IP vendor’s generator tool and use them as input to its integration process.

percentage calculator
Last edited by GarRiney on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SevenFFF

Post by SevenFFF » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:26 pm

fordp2002 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:01 am
I think I was the first person to come up with the idea of connecting the Pi Zero as an accelerator. I came up with the idea the very day the zero was made public.
I came up with the idea one day earlier than that!
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel Spectron 2084blog

fordp2002

Post by fordp2002 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:04 pm

SevenFFF wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:26 pm
fordp2002 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:01 am
I came up with the idea one day earlier than that!
Prove it!

Iestyn goes Skiing

Post by Iestyn goes Skiing » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:37 pm

I actually came up with it back in the tail end of the 14th Century. I was in the fields with John Lloyd discussing the benefits of his recently patented crop rotater and reaping the corn ready for harvest when I thought to myself ‘A Pi Zero, perfect for accelerating a Spectrum Next!’
Backer 916.