What's NEXT?

Like the title says above this section is for general chat about anything else. (within reason)
Eratosthenes

What's NEXT?

Post by Eratosthenes » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi there,

I'm a bit depressed as it seems as if the ZX Spectrum Next even this time will be late again... :(

As I'm a lucky guy I've baked "Just The Board" and I'm even now able to fiddle around with the stuff that will be provided.

Even though I'm a bit frustrated as all the stuff that's extention with the Next doesn't work.

For example:
Early in december 2017 I've ordered a case for "Just The Board" from Djordje Mitic at retroradionics.co.uk. He seems to be a nice guy and as far as I know has a really nice case for the Next board. Several weeks/month ago he mentioned that the case will be shipped "next week". After this he disappeared... :(

(No question has been answered, no delivery date has been given.)
Is this the way new stuff for the ZX Spectrum will be provided/delivered?!

This is not the way I would do.

I'm not impressed...

(AND: I'm sure _NOT_ to receive my Spectrum Next in 03.2018... :( :( :( )

SevenFFF

Re: What's NEXT?

Post by SevenFFF » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:12 pm

He sent out an email to backers saying his workshop got shut down by the authorities because it didn't meet regulations, and there would be a delay while he set it up somewhere else.

A few days ago he posted pictures of the laser cuts for the Next case that he is working to get right.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel Spectron 2084blog

Eratosthenes

Post by Eratosthenes » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:18 pm

Ah... - OK.

I didn't receive any info like this.

What does this mean? - Will my order be shipped?

Timbucus

Post by Timbucus » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Cheer up - a lot has been done - see the photo half way down this thread... Many are ready to ship already.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/specnex ... 148070276/

The Next team have spent all day finding the firmware bug that caused the latest problem - that seems to be fixed now. This is the final stretch to production...

What does not work? Other than the PI which can already be used as a ULA screen while the other is Layer 2 so not as an accelerator yet, then as per the update once the Networking is nailed then almost all the promised Kickstarter goals will have been delivered.

It is worth remembering that mostly this is all done by volunteers who want to make it work...
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

Eratosthenes

Post by Eratosthenes » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:33 pm

Yes. I'm fine with this.

But stopping communication to the customers isn't the best you could do...

I hope that all the stuff will become reality.

Especially the 48k case for the Next board is what I'd like to get. Having a "Next" in a 48k to me is much more desirable than having "the real thing".

Even though: I hope that the Spectrum Next will come...

mitja_i

Post by mitja_i » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:36 pm

Let's just remember that Djordje is a one man band and that he has no connection with the Next team at all.
Backer 423 @ 37% funded 29 days left
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

Eratosthenes

Post by Eratosthenes » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:09 pm

Thanks for the info@mitja_i,

BUT as he offers a case for the Next board I think he will have about 100 - 400 customers (max.) if everybody would have ordered a case for "Just The Board"... - If so a channel could have been established to inform customers (like me) about the status of the case.

One or two month ago he told me that the case will be shiped "next week". Yesterday or the day before I recognized a post on Facebook (I usually don't have) that the board still isn't available. - :(

Because of this I'm a bit "unamused"... as I don't know which is "NEXT WEEK" :(

So I'm a bit unhappy... - As usual because of the missing information.

Daeve

Post by Daeve » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:41 am

As irritating as it is it seems that a lot of the time the unofficial “official” channel of communication for all things Next is the Facebook group - as Timbucus linked to, the info is usually there if you can find it amongst all the noise.

mitja_i

Post by mitja_i » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:54 am

There is nothing unofficial about the Facebook group.
But Retroradionic's case has nothing to do with Next. But Djordje has his own Facebook page and he seems to be quite active there.
Backer 423 @ 37% funded 29 days left
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

sol_hsa

Post by sol_hsa » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:00 pm

mitja_i wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:54 am
There is nothing unofficial about the Facebook group.
..which makes this site, which should be the official source of information, feel like a fan site. Rumours, random quotes from Facebook threads, etc.