The C64 - Is less more?

Like the title says above this section is for general chat about anything else. (within reason)
Eratosthenes

The C64 - Is less more?

Postby Eratosthenes » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 pm

Moin, moin!

Having read about "The C64" the first time about two weeks ago, I've ordered one. This device is my 1st experience on a Commodore C64.
C64MitHdmi.jpg
C64MitHdmi.jpg (139.41 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
From my point of view this is a really nice device. I think it has been developed with much less effort, compared to the ZX Spectrum Next or the ZX Uno.

What do you think about projects like this? Do these products bring back the retro feeling the same way a ZX-Uno or a ZX Spectrum Next does?

THNX 4 info.

MfL
der Eratosthenes

Ped7g

Re: The C64 - Is less more?

Postby Ped7g » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:08 pm

My friend got one, very happy about it, definitely kick of nostalgia and retro feeling fulfilled for him, played few old games.
(makes me wonder how many more times he will power it on)

(I personally will pass on this... as on most/all of the other retro things... not sure what made me to actually jump onto Next bandwagon, probably because it's ZX, but not just old thing, or just random irregular peak in my purchase control function ...)

Tau Ceti

Postby Tau Ceti » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:53 am

That C64 is very much a low effort 'classic' device, like the SNES and Megadrive machines.

Two C64 'Nexts' will appear likely within the next year or two, the Commander X16 and the Mega65. These will be much more interesting. The Commander X16 seems to have a lot of interest behind it and will probably eclipse the Mega65.

Eratosthenes

Postby Eratosthenes » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Hi Tau Ceti,

but what do you think? - Doesn't a device like "The C64" provide the same experience to the customers as a much more complex one (using FPGA, ...) like the Next?

THNX 4 info.

MfL
der Eratosthenes

Tau Ceti

Postby Tau Ceti » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:28 am

Personally, I think the right retro feeling for me only comes if the hardware is done properly, i.e. an accurate FPGA implementation of the original silicon, and quality materials are used instead of light, cheap plastic. But if people get a retro feeling from these budget reproduction machines, then good for them. Reviews seemed to be quite positive of the new C64.

I personally love the original C64 and ZX Spectrum on the MiSTer FPGA device. Games looks beautiful with MiSTer's shader options via HDMI, better than I remember from back in the day.

RobertS

Postby RobertS » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:46 pm

I have both and the answer for me is no, they do not offer the same experience to me.
TheC64 experience is that of a games console with some hidden away programming capability. It has the proper C64 keyboard which helps to make it a better experience than an emulator using a PC keyboard.
But there is no proper manual with programming and reference information, the materials used are inferior, I can not connect legacy devices, and the emulation is not as extensive as can be achieved on a PC and not as accurate as can be achieved by a FPGA. Also it doesn't add any graphical, sound, or turbo capabilities to those of the original.

The Next experience is that of a new 80's computer, with a proper manual, programming information and the ability to connect legacy and modern devices. On top of that its programming language is far superior as are its enhanced graphical and sound capabilities. New software is created that makes use of the enhanced capabilities and the Next offers new possibilities and a means to explore them just like when you bought a new computer in the '80s.

I would conclude theC64 is a consumption oriented device and the Next is that but it is also a creation oriented device.

SevenFFF

Postby SevenFFF » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:25 pm

I agree! A lot of Next backers are “consumers” too. I even heard one guy say he would recycle the manual.

But the Next does give both types of people opportunities, which is great.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins

Eratosthenes

Postby Eratosthenes » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:09 pm

To be honest: To me The64 really is a retro computer!

I don't play games, I don't need a 100%(+) accurate experience. BUT: The 64 to me expresses what the C64 was about in 1982.

By the way: Surely I wouldn't have liked it in the 1980th... :) (Have a look at my +3 WHAT A BEAUTY...)
... See "my" Next (Just The Board) - the Cherry Keyboard is lying on it's top - in the background.

SpeccyDream

Postby SpeccyDream » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:08 am

RobertS wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:46 pm
I have both and the answer for me is no, they do not offer the same experience to me.
TheC64 experience is that of a games console with some hidden away programming capability. It has the proper C64 keyboard which helps to make it a better experience than an emulator using a PC keyboard.
But there is no proper manual with programming and reference information, the materials used are inferior, I can not connect legacy devices, and the emulation is not as extensive as can be achieved on a PC and not as accurate as can be achieved by a FPGA. Also it doesn't add any graphical, sound, or turbo capabilities to those of the original.

The Next experience is that of a new 80's computer, with a proper manual, programming information and the ability to connect legacy and modern devices. On top of that its programming language is far superior as are its enhanced graphical and sound capabilities. New software is created that makes use of the enhanced capabilities and the Next offers new possibilities and a means to explore them just like when you bought a new computer in the '80s.

I would conclude theC64 is a consumption oriented device and the Next is that but it is also a creation oriented device.
I agree and this is why I opted for the Ultimate64. This is an FPGA recreation of the C64 with added benefits. However, when buying this machine, you only get the main board. A case and keyboard then need to be sourced, so this is not a complete experience as per the Next. I will say, however, that the Ultimate64 is very good and to me, well worth the extra effort.

TheTurnipKing

Postby TheTurnipKing » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:06 pm

Tau Ceti wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:28 am
Personally, I think the right retro feeling for me only comes if the hardware is done properly, i.e. an accurate FPGA implementation of the original silicon, and quality materials are used instead of light, cheap plastic. But if people get a retro feeling from these budget reproduction machines, then good for them. Reviews seemed to be quite positive of the new C64.
Cheap is an option, if all you want to do is emulate the system.

Plastic moulding to create something of the actual *feel* of using a system is not cheap however.