Cheapo capture chain

Like the title says above this section is for general chat about anything else. (within reason)
sol_hsa

Cheapo capture chain

Postby sol_hsa » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:55 pm

Since I have this videohome "grabbee" usb device that eats composite signal and poops usb data to PC, I figured what the heck, I'll order one of these super cheap vga2av converters, chain those together and see what kind of image I get from the next to the PC.

Well, crappy, as expected. For some reason I can't get a *live* video out of it so I could tweak the image parameters (like contrast); the capture program doesn't quite like windows 10. I *can* take screenshots though, which makes zero sense.

Anyway, that's the result for anyone who might care.

sol_hsa

Re: Cheapo capture chain

Postby sol_hsa » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:18 pm

Ordered another av-to-usb grabber, a cheap one off ebay; Good news is that I can get image on win10 camera app. Bad news..

it looks like it's deinterlacing really badly. The image also flickers somewhat. But anyway, I think it's still a better video source for capture than aiming my phone at a screen.

sol_hsa

Re: Cheapo capture chain

Postby sol_hsa » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:33 am

Even though nobody asked for it, here's screenshots of all vga modes. The vga2av box has a switch for ntsc or pal, these are in pal mode. Switching to ntsc surprisingly still gives coherent image, but with funky rainbow patters on hard edges.

Disabling scan doubler causes signal to fail.