next issue 2 schedule!

Like the title says above this section is for general chat about anything else. (within reason)
assenco

next issue 2 schedule!

Postby assenco » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:47 pm

Hello everyone, I would like to know something, the zx spectrum next issue 2 is scheduled for shipment on August 21, 2021 but how is it? will they be sent to all supporters at the same time? or is it going to be a gradual process? in the second case, how long will a supporter wait for your device? what is the maximum term to receive it?

Alcoholics Anonymous

Re: next issue 2 schedule!

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:51 am

I think it's likely going to start shipping before that date but the exact schedule can't be known yet. Covid can still cause disruption as it did in the first KS.

The shipping will be done over a couple of months I think, sent out as they are built, as happened in the first KS. Order will probably be non-accelerated and then accelerated. Inside those classes, it may be by country or backer number depending on the logistics.

Ped7g

Postby Ped7g » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:41 pm

"what is the maximum term to receive it?" - as with any kickstarter project: "never" (if everything goes horribly wrong (KS1 was few times near this fate), or if it's a scam (unlikely with the history record of KS1 and people behind the project))

I guess it would be nice to know the timeframe, but in reality the team will try to build and ship them as fast as possible. It's not like they write "aug 2021" and then they go dormant for 8 months and then they produce them ahead of August. Or produce them now, and then sit on them for 6 months to not ship them earlier. The real delivery will be ASAP (literally). Whether that is Jan 2021, Aug 2021, or Jun 2023...

sol_hsa

Postby sol_hsa » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:51 pm

That said my completely uneducated guess is that they won't make the stated deadline, but it will ship pretty shortly afterwards, because time estimates on complex projects like these is difficult.

KS1 was really late, but there were many more unknowns to solve at the time which are (hopefully) all in the past.

Like, there's no need to reinvent the keyboard interface again. I hope. =)

The biggest risks I see are the potential complications from the CE certification and whether suppliers can be relied upon. Oh, and forces of nature like covid and brexit.