Does it make sence to add issues @tbblue on gitlab nowadays?

Like the title says above this section is for general chat about anything else. (within reason)
Eratosthenes

Does it make sence to add issues @tbblue on gitlab nowadays?

Postby Eratosthenes » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:00 pm

Hi,

during the first Kickstarter project I've added Issues I've had to https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue/-/issues .
They were noticed and sometimes fixes have been implemented.

Because of that I've always installed the latest/greatest version of the master branch.
For some time now I have major issues, when installing the software being provided in the repo. These are so severe that I can't use the software on my Next anymore. :(

Because of this and because I don't get any response to my issues I had to downgrade to the latest distro.

A question to the team:
Does it make sence to install software from https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue today and to add any issues on the latest released version?

Thanks for the info and have a lot of fun...

MfL der Eratosthenes

garrylancaster

Re: Does it make sence to add issues @tbblue on gitlab nowadays?

Postby garrylancaster » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:51 am

Bug reports on the latest software in the repository are always welcome, and the rest of the team and myself are very grateful for them being brought to our attention. I would always suggest running with the latest software from the repository.

Unfortunately, Next development is a labour of love rather than a paid enterprise, so time is often limited and sometimes bugs can take a while to investigate and fix. I personally have been working on a new version of NextZXOS for a few months, so have not had the time to look at bugs for a while. Rest assured, however, as soon as that is finished I shall be back in bug-fixing mode for a while to sort out any issues that have been raised.

Can you elaborate on which issues are causing you the most trouble? I have checked through the list today and the only one that seems "severe" is #35 (SPECTRUM commands freeze or reset the system). If this one in particular is causing you problems, you should be able to work around it for now by placing your desired SPECTRUM commands in your autoexec.bas. It is also possible to change the current number of characters per line in the NextBASIC editor itself, by pressing EDIT and choosing 32/64/85.

Thanks,

Garry

Eratosthenes

Postby Eratosthenes » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:39 pm

Hi Garry,

my major issue - and the reason why I've downgraded the Next - is that the Next freezes when it's running in 64-char BASIC mode.

As this happens really very often, the master branch is unusable for me. See the issue for details. https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue/-/issues/35

Usually I've got an autoexec setting up the Next. Everytime I'm using 64 chars the system is instable and crashes sooner or later in the BASIC editor. The described steps are the quickest way to show what happens.

I think that anytime if the screen is set to a resolution less than 512 the next may crash if the program is stopped and you return to the BASIC editor. (Are the 2nd 6k of RAM allocated or smashes some code into the not allocated area?! :roll: )

Have a nice weekend...

MfL der Eratosthenes

garrylancaster

Postby garrylancaster » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:51 pm

Now fixed in v2.06N. The issue was a calculator fix which inadvertently affected the main editor as well.

Eratosthenes

Postby Eratosthenes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:22 pm

Hi Garry,

now I'm back on track (master #ae03a101).

Keep the fingers crossed that my Next now doesn't crash every 15mins anymore. :D
Thanks for fixing Issue #35

Have a lot of fun.

MfL der Eratosthenes