Way to do an isometric game

Discuss game and other programming topics not specifically covered in another forum

Moderator: Programming Moderators

Duefectu

Way to do an isometric game

Postby Duefectu » Thu May 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Hello,

I want to make an isometric game like "Knight Lore".
I working arround the graphics paint order and I thing I cannot use standard sprites nor tiles, due to the overlap requeriments of isometric games.
Is there any way to order tiles or sprites at runtime, or I need to make my own sprites and tiles routine?

Thanks for your time and sorry for my bad English!
@Duefectu
www.duefectucorp.com

Ped7g

Re: Way to do an isometric game

Postby Ped7g » Thu May 14, 2020 5:38 pm

Tiles are flat plane.. just like layer2 or classic ULA screen. So you need to sort those in SW way, or to use only 2-3 layers to create the desired effect.

Sprites have fixed order of drawing, going by their index 0, 1, 2, 3, ... but you can decide if early sprites should be above or below (it's global configuration for all 128 sprites. So depending how you sort your sprites and assign them to attribute registers, you can have certain sprite above other sprite.

You will still have to do lot of your own calculations and sorting for isometric engine, the drawing pixels is only part of it.

Sokurah

Postby Sokurah » Thu May 14, 2020 10:39 pm

There are many ways to do it. In most isometric games things were Z-axis sorted before being drawn to a backbuffer - and that was the case with Knight Lore too. Head over Heals didn't have a backbuffer so that was much more cleverly coded ... but it still had to Z-order stuff before drawing it. Most 3D games has to.

Now, Kev Brady has come up with a really clever way of doing 3D on the Spectrum Next with Melkhior's Mansion and if you Google him you can find his development blog and read how he decided to do it. His way has some limitations ... but within those constraints it's quite clever.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2 (also for arcade hardware) & Vallation.
Twitter: Sokurah

seedy1812

Postby seedy1812 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:25 pm

A while ago somebody wrote an iso- engine for the PC http://retrospec.sgn.net/users/ignacio/IsomotEng.htm