Can .playwav be distributed with a release? And other such distribution questions

Discuss game and other programming topics not specifically covered in another forum

Moderator: Programming Moderators

Camel

Can .playwav be distributed with a release? And other such distribution questions

Postby Camel » Wed May 27, 2020 8:50 pm

Trying to get my head around releases put out on SD cards. If someone could help me understand a few things I'd be very grateful. Apologies for any _really_ stupid questions :D

The Next won't operate without the distribution files being present on the SD card. Can these be distributed with a (let's say commercial) release?

How does this work with things like the user setting their display method (VGA, RGB etc) - do users just hold down D, V etc as they would if they haven't saved display settings?

Is there a guide somewhere that defines a minimum set of system files?

Can the .playwav dot command be distributed? Am I right in saying this is part of ESXDOS? Is that always present on a Next?

Can a BASIC program be compiled into a .NEX file or .SNX?

Thanks for any pointers.

emook

Re: Can .playwav be distributed with a release? And other such distribution questions

Postby emook » Wed May 27, 2020 10:24 pm

.playwav started out as an simple DMA example by Victor & (I think) Jim for the Next and isn't part of esxDOS. I reworked the original source and added variable prescaler, auto frequency detection and custom playback speeds. AFAIAC the program is free to distribute in any form for the Next.

At the moment BASIC cannot be compiled into a .NEX / .SNX.
---------
ZXorDIE
http://zxbasic.uk/nextbuild/ NextBuild
http://zxbasic.uk ZXBD Snapshot uploader
http://zxbasic.uk/db/0 ZXBasic Online Database

sol_hsa

Re: Can .playwav be distributed with a release? And other such distribution questions

Postby sol_hsa » Thu May 28, 2020 4:06 am

Camel wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:50 pm
What would you mean by that? Compile to machine code, or to use nex as container for basic? These are different things, first being way more difficult than the second.

Camel

Postby Camel » Thu May 28, 2020 11:57 am

Thanks for the replies so far.
sol_hsa wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:06 am
Camel wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:50 pm
What would you mean by that? Compile to machine code, or to use nex as container for basic? These are different things, first being way more difficult than the second.
I think the second. I guess I'm looking at a slick way of presenting something written in BASIC.

Although, as a BASIC program can be stopped at any point and the code viewed, I guess it's a pointless exercise anyway. In which case, an autoexec and a saved autorunning bas file will probably do the trick.

SevenFFF

Postby SevenFFF » Thu May 28, 2020 2:24 pm

Tap is probably still the best single-file container format for a BASIC program with separate resource files.

In theory .NEX can be used to store all the resources for a BASIC program, but you still need a separate BASIC launcher program.

If you're preparing a custom distribution for a program that will get released on a separate SD card, the Next licence permits that. Read LICENSE.MD. At minimum you need to include:

Code: Select all

/TBBLUE.FW
/machines/next/*.*
/NextZXOS/*.*
/DOT/<Any dot commands you use in your release>
/NextZXOS/autoexec.bas [for autostarting]
When autostarting programs:

.BAS files can be run with LOAD "foo.bas"
.TAP files can be run with .tapein goo.tap: LOAD "t:": LOAD "foo"
.SNA/SNX/Z80 files can be run with SPECTRUM "foo.sna"
.NEX files can be run with .nexload foo.nex

Look in /NextZXOS/browser.cfg for the actual syntax the browser uses to run different extensions. | is the template placeholder for the filename.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins

Camel

Postby Camel » Fri May 29, 2020 9:45 am

Thanks, this is all exceptionally useful. Very much appreciated.