Cspect emulator - Mac OS - Problem

Discuss game and other programming topics not specifically covered in another forum

Moderator: Programming Moderators

csb1980

Cspect emulator - Mac OS - Problem

Postby csb1980 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:26 pm

Evening folks,

I'm trying to get Cspect ZX NEXT emulator running on my MAC Book. So far I've followed all the instructions posted on:

https://specnext.dev/tutorials/cspect-mac/

I've installed everything required including mono and when I run the emulator via terminal it does open but all I ever get is the grey 48k screen. I can't seem to start the NEXT Emulation and I can not work out what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure though its something really simple. Please help!

**I've attached a screenshot below showing the emulator running.
CSpect Screenshot.png
CSpect Screenshot.png (1005.61 KiB) Viewed 2339 times

smurphboy

Re: Cspect emulator - Mac OS - Problem

Postby smurphboy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:49 pm

Assuming the image is in the current directory then try your command line but a single dot on the mmc option. i.e. -mmc=./cspect-next-2gb.img

csb1980

Postby csb1980 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:31 am

smurphboy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:49 pm
Assuming the image is in the current directory then try your command line but a single dot on the mmc option. i.e. -mmc=./cspect-next-2gb.img
Thanks smurphboy - tried what you suggested but I end up getting an 'Error loading Rom' message.

csb1980

Postby csb1980 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:34 am

858 views - surely someone knows how to sort this????

Ped7g

Postby Ped7g » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:57 am

you need to have also ROM files around the image for the CSpect, like this on my machine:

Code: Select all

$ ls -hl *.rom tbblue.mmc 
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ped ped  64K May  2  2020 enNextZX.rom
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ped ped 8.0K May  2  2020 enNxtmmc.rom
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ped ped 128M Feb 16 10:47 tbblue.mmc
I'm pretty sure that's part of the CSpect readme, and most of the recent tutorial blogs (although in older versions you could run into advice to put the rom files along the CSpect executable, that was changed few months (?) back in newer versions).

The rom files are either included in the zip file with particular disk image from the helper site maintained by Phoebus:
http://www.zxspectrumnext.online/cspect/index.html

Or they are actually inside the disk image itself (if you have the image from Next site for real HW), and you can extract them by some tool allowing you to operate with images (mounting it directly, or using something like hdfmonkey command line).

maybe post listing of the directory where you have the image along the other info? And also how/where did you get the image, if possible, stick to "distro 1.3.2" as that is known to work with CSpect 2.13.0. (downloading newer distro directly from gitlab adds another uncertainty, as NextZXOS and NextBASIC are complex pieces of SW using most of the HW features of Next and the newer versions of NextZXOS + firmware often depend on latest versions of core, so the CSpect may be unable to emulate them as it's emulation of core is not on par with the features used by the SW then).