First steps into Z88DK...and many more to come!

Discuss game and other programming topics not specifically covered in another forum

Moderator: Programming Moderators

SamusDrake

Re: First steps into Z88DK...and many more to come!

Postby SamusDrake » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:54 pm

Alvin its good to hear from you again. I trust you are keeping well in these difficult times?

The Disassembly text is indeed cryptic but I can see how its been a starting point for many assembly programmers over the years. It will take me a long time to understand much of it, but still grateful for its guidence.

Yes, I know what you mean now about byte usage in even a simple assembly. Its been quite an eye opener to discover that the C64's 6502 has some advantages in byte usage which somewhat makes up for the Z80 having more registers to use. I intend to spend more time later in the week going over your generous notes, and more Z80 work too.

I experienced a nasty hard disk failure late last year which resulted in my main computer losing all its settings, including all the environment variables for sdks such as SGDK and Z88DK. Its been a while since I've done any C programming so I'll have to remedy that soon. My linux laptop is still setup for Z88DK but for some reason I think I was using the classic library. Just to refresh my memory after so long Alvin, what steps do I need to take to ensure that I am using the new library when compiling a spectrum program?

Cheers.

Steve.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:23 pm

SamusDrake wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:54 pm
Alvin its good to hear from you again. I trust you are keeping well in these difficult times?
Yes everything is going ok still.
I experienced a nasty hard disk failure late last year which resulted in my main computer losing all its settings, including all the environment variables for sdks such as SGDK and Z88DK. Its been a while since I've done any C programming so I'll have to remedy that soon. My linux laptop is still setup for Z88DK but for some reason I think I was using the classic library. Just to refresh my memory after so long Alvin, what steps do I need to take to ensure that I am using the new library when compiling a spectrum program?
The new library is activated if "-clib=new" or "-clib=sdcc_iy" is in the compile line. The former is for using the sccz80 compiler and the latter is for using zsdcc.

SamusDrake

Postby SamusDrake » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:10 pm

Ah, cheers for that Alvin.

So many projects to catch up on its hard to keep track of everything. Thanks.