Typing <= in an IF statement

This is where most of us started. Classic Spectrum basic.

Moderator: Programming Moderators

dhardingham

Typing <= in an IF statement

Postby dhardingham » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:35 pm

I an trying to type the following in NextBASIC:

70 IF count<=5 THEN GO TO 30

However, I can't use SYMBOL SHIFT Q to generate <=

Instead of <= the copyright symbol is displayed. Is there something wrong with my keyboard, or is there something wrong with the latest version of NextBASIC?

SevenFFF

Re: Typing <= in an IF statement

Postby SevenFFF » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:28 pm

The NextBASIC editor uses the same single character entry as the 12K BASIC editors in 128k/+2/+2A/+3 Spectrums.

To enter LOAD you type L, O, A and D separately. And to enter <= you type < and = separately.

Only in 48K BASIC do you type single keys for each token.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins

dhardingham

Postby dhardingham » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:21 am

Many thanks Robin. I was clearly confused by the symbols on the keys.

SevenFFF

Postby SevenFFF » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:08 am

No worries. It is a slight oddity. The Next case and keyboard is designed by Rick, who was consciously going back to his roots to update the 48+/toastrack aesthetic. Amstrad missed off the keywords on all their models, but the toastrack still had them even though the 128K editor was the default.

NeztZXOS is based on +3e, Garry’s earlier work, which is itself based on the +3. I think most people concede the later editors are more user-friendly than the original keyword entry system, at least when you’ve got used to both.

The board itself is 48K form-factor, and the core is model-agnostistic, so we have several separate strands going on :)
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins

TheTurnipKing

Postby TheTurnipKing » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:33 am

It's important to have, not just aesthetically, but because 48k Basic is damn nigh unusable without a key reference guide.

The token entry system is perfectly usable, with that caveat, but the 128k editor very much made it unnessecary, and it's was largely only there for backwards compatability on the +2, hence the removal of most of the keywords, except the few most commonly used ones, like LOAD.

Drop down to a 48k personality and it quickly becomes a game of "hunt the key" until you're used to the layout.

|48K|

Postby |48K| » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:26 pm

Clearly I am joining this thread very late :-) but I am working my way through lots on information in advance of the Next v2 arriving next year...

Anyway, I agree with all said above...but: would a hybrid mode not be useful? I.e. where the keyword tokens are the default (like 48K mode) but where one of the extended mode keys (unique to to the Next) could temporarily switch to character-based input. This would be akin to pressing CAPSHIFT to get access to capitals on a modern computer, but instead switches to character-based input Up until the modified key is pressed again.

Or perhaps this already exists?