NextBASIC wish list: jump labels

This is where most of us started. Classic Spectrum basic.

Moderator: Programming Moderators

programandala.net

NextBASIC wish list: jump labels

Postby programandala.net » Fri May 15, 2020 7:15 pm

I think NextBASIC is really impressive. So far I had read its documentation and manual, but now I can try it on the real machine. The more I learn its features, the more I appreciate the hard work behind it. No doubt, the backwards compatibility was a serious limitation in order to choose and design the new features. Ditto about NextZXOS.

One of the features I miss in NextBASIC is jump labels. I suppose they were considered for implementation, and I guess there was a technical reason to resign them, or just a question of priorities and lack of time.

In fact, when labels store the number line they don't represent a big advantage over ordinary variables, except the fact they would be updated while renumbering the program. Labels storing the address of the line would improve the run-time speed, but the changes required in the interpreter would be significant.

Of course, preprocessors like zmakebas support labels, but actual labels make life easier to people that prefer to write BASIC programs on the real or emulated machine. Not my case, by the way.

Anyway, one of the best things of the Next is that the whole system can be updated. Maybe labels and other features will be included in future versions of NextBASIC.
Marcos Cruz (programandala.net)