SpexNext BASIC with additional commands for the extra gfx/sfx abilities?

This is where most of us started. Classic Spectrum basic.

Moderator: Programming Moderators

JoeZX

SpexNext BASIC with additional commands for the extra gfx/sfx abilities?

Post by JoeZX » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:09 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yNNS69r_8E
MSX Zilog 3.58Mhz + simple VDP.

IF basic THEN wow !!

Update: Jim Bagley - "ZX Basic is working on a Next version."

http://www.boriel.com/wiki/en/index.php/ZXBasic
aka Boriel ..

JoeZX

Re: SpexNext BASIC with additional commands for the extra gfx/sfx abilities?

Post by JoeZX » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:33 am

from specnext FB:

Mike Mee: "Having seen Jim's talk at PLAY Expo Blackpool today, I had a question that I wasn't sure to ask at the Q&A bit. So I asked Jim directly afterwards and he suggested I post it in here to generate a debate / get some answers.

For those of us who want to code mainly in BASIC, but without relying on the 28Mhz speed increase, there is the Boriel ZX Compiler. Whilst not a true implementation of BASIC, and a few tweaks to your code are required, it does compile into a binary file, TAP or TZX file.

So, as an example, if you want to use 42 column printing, you add in the relevant library and use it in your code. Ditto for multi-colour graphics.

My question to Jim would be if he would be able to adapt his enhanced libraries (HW sprites, new sound chips et al) so that they could be added to your Boriel code?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phoebus Dokos - "Technically (and I haven't really played with Boriel) anyone can add libraries to it."

David Saphier - "Jose (author of boriel) said he is going to work on a sprite library. As Phoebus mentioned anyone can create a library and stick it in the library folder to include. I keep meaning to get around to making my own but I have so many things on the go and not a huge amount of free time. Boriel is a great intermediary. It looks like basic but supports subroutines and and inline asm and compiles into pretty efficient code.

Jose Rodriguez This is "Boriel" (author of ZX Basic compiler) - " Thanks David. Actually if there is already a library I can even bundle it with ZX Basic if it is open source (many people had contributed already and they are credited for that :) ) Mike I can port any routine to ZX Basic if someone can provide some sample code in ASM or in C. BTW, it's supposed to be a "true implementation of BASIC". It's not 100% compatible with the original Sinclair BASIC for obvious reasons, by tries hard to be. :P

Its syntax is extended to (partially) mimic also QBasic / Visual Basic / FreeBasic (mostly the latter). But many programs are either compatible (the UK Flag from the speccy manual compiles with no modifications), or just require minimum changes (e.g. every IF must be closed with END IF)."

JoeZX

Post by JoeZX » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:40 am

http://www.indieretronews.com/2017/07/b ... space.html
- relevant: "Blerk's ZX Spectrum game Break/Space; a procedurally-generated space strategy game for the 48K ZX Spectrum that has recently been compiled under Boriel's ZX Basic. "

JoeZX

Post by JoeZX » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:10 pm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/specnex ... 406836451/

Jim Bagley: "Have some great news for the people who want to write in BASIC on the Next, just working with the awesome Garry Lancaster to add extra features in BASIC that handle sprites and the layer 2 screen functionality. :D won't go too into details here, I'll give Garry that honour when he's added it, to showcase it. but I can say that the BASIC guys will love it! and it's not .command ones, it's built into the BASIC directly for speed."

There you have it .. BASIC, up to 28Mhz, HW sprites, Layer 2 .. have fun.

Eratosthenes

Post by Eratosthenes » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Hi,

has anybody played with the new Basic commands?

I've got an issue when using layer 2.

even such a simple program as

Code: Select all

10 LAYER 2,1
20 CLS
30 FOR n=0 TO 250
40 INK INT(RND*256)
50 PRINT n;", ";
60 NEXT n
has problems.

The best case is that there is a flickering column on the screen and the numbers are printed. Usually, especially when I change the CPU speed by pressing F8 the system crashes or freezes. It seems as if it is a bit more stable when using 3.5Mhz.

Has anybody else experience with the extended Basic commands?

P.S.: I'm using Firmware V0.7 (FW1.04c, Core1.10) displaying "@2000-2018 Garry Lancaster 1.92D"

Alcoholics Anonymous

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:34 am

You can't go above 7MHz when layer 2 is used with the current fpga config - it will crash. This is fixed in the next one.