NextBASIC experience thread

This is where most of us started. Classic Spectrum basic.

Moderator: Programming Moderators

Eratosthenes

NextBASIC experience thread

Post by Eratosthenes » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi everybody!

Is there someone out there (except of me) fiddling around with NextBASIC? If so I would like to know about your experience.

Yesterday I tried out using sprites in NextBASIC.

The result
SpriteTest.zip
looks something like this:
TestSprites.jpg
As at least some of the commands seem not to work as described here I would like to get more infos about the details of the new syntax.

Anybody interested in talking about stuff like this?
(Or why the Next crases so often when fiddling around with NextBASIC?)

Timbucus

Re: NextBASIC experience thread

Post by Timbucus » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:22 am

Some of the commands are not yet implemented on 0.8 - they are due to be complete by V2 for the Boxed unit:

I think at 193c that is related to the LAYER BANK, CLEAR, NEW. Some of the ERASE and LINE renumbering (REPEAT loops), +3DoS floppy, CPM and:

POINT x,y,var

DRAW x,y (Not yet implemented for layer 1 or layer 2 modes)
DRAW x,y,z (Not yet implemented for layer 1 or layer 2 modes)
CIRCLE x,y,r (Not yet implemented for layer 1 or layer 2 modes)

BANK n LINE x,y
BANK n LIST
BANK n LIST l
BANK n MERGE
BANK n GOTO l
BANK n GOSUB l
BANK n RESTORE l

NEW DATA part$,size
NEW EXP part$,size
MOVE drive$=path$

LOAD/SAVE/VERIFY/MERGE f$ LAYER

LOAD/SAVE/VERIFY/MERGE f$ BANK n
LOAD/SAVE/VERIFY/MERGE f$ BANK n,offset,len
NOTE: Instead of these commands, the following commands can currently be used, which have the same functionality but can only load files directly from the SD card, not from tape. They will (probably) be removed when the above commands have been implemented.
BANK n LOAD/SAVE f$
BANK n LOAD/SAVE f$,offset,len

If you have a small BASIC example that reproduces a crash then Garry will be happy to have a copy and look at why - he is actively seeking that as some features can have subtle bugs - I have found a few.
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

Eratosthenes

Re: NextBASIC experience thread

Post by Eratosthenes » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks for the info.

Sadly there is no command that will crash the Next. The only issue I've got is the INPUT command. It generates an error if you don't enter a value. The program stopps with such as "C Nonsense in Basic, 100:1". At least the system doesn't crash anymore... ;-)

The problem I have is, that the Next becomes instable when running basic programs for a longer time.

Often there is strange behaviour when the mode is changed using Shift + 1 menu stuff.

Effects
1. Reset (same es menu item "Exit" except that the system restarts completely)
2. The Next switches to 48k Mode when you try to open the menu

@1.: I'm nearly sure that I don't hit "F1" instead of "1" to open the menu.
@2.: Running ".date" and ".time" command many times leads to the error. When Shift + 1 is pressed the Next "resets" to 48k mode

Issues
3. Input command (INPUT i) throws an exception when an empty value is entered
4. Renumber (Menu) sometimes has issues with GO TO commands
5. Using "Screen" in the menu sometimes leads to strange behaviour. Especially when the number of characters has changed before
6. The CPU speed sometimes changes during runtime
7. When using 64 chars on NextOS screen the program is displayed in 64 chars but only 32 chars per line are printed.

@7: only every 2nd character is printed the other half stays "as is". The command CLS though clears the whole screen.

It seems as if the Next is more instable the more often other resolutions are used.

I'm usually running NextBASIC using 64 chars and 14MHz and V0.8. (Yesterday the board has been updated to V.0.8A but not tested until now.

Now on V0.8A
8. Typing in the command "LAYER 1,3" when being in NextOS freezes the system

@8: typing in the same command under NextBASIC the system stays alive. Independent if the command is entered directly or part of a BASIC program

9. Using the Calculator and 64 chars leads to strange behaviour

... to be continued... :D