If you like transforming your statements into code, this is the place for you

Moderator: Programming Moderators

Alcoholics Anonymous

Re: WIP - Walkabout (z88dk)

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:34 am

tamas_vandorffy wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:42 pm
My version is: "Version: 20170112".
So it seems that my setup is way older than yours. I will get a newer one and try again.
Z88dk is a rapidly evolving project. Even since the last release in January there have been more than a thousand commits to the repository and this includes improvements applied to the compilers and libraries.

It's best to try to keep relatively up-to-date and you can do that by either grabbing the nightly build or, if you're comfortable with building the libraries and binaries yourself, go through github and retain the ability to contribute. Install instructions are here. You can update a nightly build install for windows or mac os x by deleting the z88dk tree and unzipping a current build in the same location. This way you don't have to change any environment variables.

tamas_vandorffy

Post by tamas_vandorffy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:48 am

Hi all,

Thank you for the tip, I took the nightly snapshot put rolled back my changes and the game now compiles without
problems. :-)

FrankT

Post by FrankT » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:21 pm

Had a couple of experiments with the tune for ingame. I searched the code for the PT3 and did a binary replace to play my experiments. Simple.

A jolly ragtime is what I've decided works well. If it's ok to support, I can do a Turbo Sound version 2xAY, for a piano-like rag.

bob_fossil

Post by bob_fossil » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:34 pm

FrankT wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:21 pm
Had a couple of experiments with the tune for ingame. I searched the code for the PT3 and did a binary replace to play my experiments. Simple.

A jolly ragtime is what I've decided works well. If it's ok to support, I can do a Turbo Sound version 2xAY, for a piano-like rag.
Yeah, as you probably figured out, the music is currently at 51300 - 60481. Haven't looked at Turbo Sound so I don't know what's involved. If it's just a different call in the IM2 handler then it shouldn't be too difficult to support.

Spec-chum

Post by Spec-chum » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:25 am

Awesome stuff!

I had assumed I would exclusively be using asm on the next but after having a quick play with z88dk last night I'm very impressed, even more so after having a very quick perusal of bob's code just now.

It seems much has changed since a lot of the wiki was written, which I was following last night, is there a more up to date idiots guide I may have missed?

I was using the default compiler and default runtime etc.
I'm not insane; my mother had me tested

Alcoholics Anonymous

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Spec-chum wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:25 am
It seems much has changed since a lot of the wiki was written, which I was following last night, is there a more up to date idiots guide I may have missed?
I put a response here. I don't want to suck the oxygen out of Bob's thread.

Spec-chum

Post by Spec-chum » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks AA :D

Awesome work on the Z88DK by the way, very impressed.
I'm not insane; my mother had me tested

Henk de Groot

Post by Henk de Groot » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:51 pm

I see people referring to the version of zcc to see if it is recent or not. So I was curious. My version says:

zcc - Frontend for the z88dk Cross-C Compiler - v20170622-

So that looks like bleeding edge, but I know I fetched my source copy on may 20. I only happened to compile the z88dk source again this evening. So this is not really a version but the date it was compiled. So your compiler with an older day may actually be newer. So beware, this is not a reliable indication. Same is true for sccz80.

bob_fossil

Post by bob_fossil » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:01 pm

Just a small update to the source on github. The code now uses the new library routines (noticeably the IM2 handler and input routines) and the assembly functions should now work in both sccz80 and sdcc (untested as getting sdcc to work on Linux looks a bit of a chore).

I've also updated the .zip attachment on the first page as the switch to the new library has made the generated code smaller.