Creating SNA files for CSpect

Do you live and breathe hexadecimal? Do you like speaking to hardware directly?

Moderator: Programming Moderators

Jonv

Creating SNA files for CSpect

Post by Jonv » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:22 pm

I want to switch to using the CSpect emulator as the start up time for ZEsarUX is slowing down my development but trying to move from pasmo generating .tap file to assembling .sna files is proving problematic.
What is the simplest asm need for generating a .sna versus a .tap file?

Sokurah

Re: Creating SNA files for CSpect

Post by Sokurah » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:24 am

If you change from Pasmo to Sjasmplus then you're off to a good start as that generates .sna files.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2 (also for arcade hardware) & Vallation.
Twitter: Sokurah

Jonv

Post by Jonv » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:10 pm

Tried using spasm which comes with CSpect but no luck. I think I am missing something more fundamental when generating .sna files.

SevenFFF

Post by SevenFFF » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:37 pm

Zeus generates 48K and 128K .snas with a one-liner, and they load on Cspect and the hardware.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel Spectron 2084blog

Alcoholics Anonymous

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:39 am

z88dk will do 48k/128k snas on the compile line as well as produce taps, binaries covering the full memory space, and several types of dot commands.

But someone has modified pasmo to do the Next opcodes and output sna. Although the last update was six months ago so the opcode list will be out of date. Maybe a polite poke will get him to update those.

https://github.com/spec-chum/pasmo

Otherwise what you can do is save a blank snapshot in an emulator with the "RAND USR xxx" already typed in and you can insert your assembled code into the image at the right place. Then when you load up the snapshot, press enter to run.

chernandezba

Post by chernandezba » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:25 pm

Jonv wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:22 pm
I want to switch to using the CSpect emulator as the start up time for ZEsarUX is slowing down my development but trying to move from pasmo generating .tap file to assembling .sna files is proving problematic.
What is the simplest asm need for generating a .sna versus a .tap file?
Slowing down? Nextos in ZEsarUX boots in 10 seconds. Anyway, as you may know, cspect is not a full Next emulator (and ZEsarUX is a full emulator)
About sna, you shouldn’t use that format. It’s an old and ugly format, you’d better use tap
----

ZEsarUX
ZX Second-Emulator And Released for UniX
https://github.com/chernandezba/zesarux

varmfskii

Post by varmfskii » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:06 am

It seems to me that sna is really only sensible as an emulator format, but to each their own.
Backer #2741 - TS2068, Byte, ZX Evolution

mdf200

Post by mdf200 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:23 pm

chernandezba wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:25 pm
Slowing down? Nextos in ZEsarUX boots in 10 seconds. Anyway, as you may know, cspect is not a full Next emulator (and ZEsarUX is a full emulator). About sna, you shouldn’t use that format. It’s an old and ugly format, you’d better use tap
Unless you're doing BASIC, you don't need a full emulator - i think we've proven this! :) CSpect does most of the other hardware, and starts up in under a second - not to mention has a good debugger built in. So as an ASM "dev" tool, it's much quicker to dev with.

And I really don't know why some folk don't like SNA files. They are much faster to load, easier to write, and all of your program code - and loading screen, are all loaded in one go. Then it jumps to the start of your program. I mean....seriously, what else do you need?

But hey.... use whatever you want and are comfortable with.

varmfskii

Post by varmfskii » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:09 pm

mdf200 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:23 pm
And I really don't know why some folk don't like SNA files. They are much faster to load, easier to write, and all of your program code - and loading screen, are all loaded in one go. Then it jumps to the start of your program. I mean....seriously, what else do you need?
I don't know, just loading what you need to load. Having to have separate file formats for your bootstrap and any later materials you may or may not need. Look at the what was going on with the recent rusty pixels demo. It bootstrapped with a .sna, but used a bunch of other files as well. Snapshot files are basically the most primitive possible usable files.
Backer #2741 - TS2068, Byte, ZX Evolution

SevenFFF

Post by SevenFFF » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:45 pm

At least 128K of your materials don't have to be in separate files. I think at some point there might be a Next extension to the snapshot format, and the 128K version is a useful starting point.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel Spectron 2084blog