Bubble Bobble

Show us your work, thrill and amaze us :)

Moderator: Programming Moderators

dave18

Re: Bubble Bobble

Postby dave18 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:39 pm

Repo updated with new release

ZX_Tsugi

Postby ZX_Tsugi » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:11 pm

dave18 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:24 pm
I've managed to add the cheat codes, slightly confusing as the web says fire, jump, fire, jump, fire, jump, right, start(2p side) for Super BB, however the code clearly expects start, jump, fire, left, right, jump, start, right. I've gone with the latter as this is what MAME seems to accept as well.

Shall I still leave Super Bubble Bobble available without the code (as per the US ver 5.1) or require the code to be enter (as per Japan V0.1)????
Great, thanks! I've just tried out the Power Up cheat and everything was as expected.

I think you can leave it as the US version.

alanspec

Postby alanspec » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:13 pm

Thanks again dave18. This is amazing :)

Tau Ceti

Postby Tau Ceti » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:18 am

Bubble Bobble for some strange reason has not yet been added to: https://www.spectrumnextgames.uk/

Everything else including the kitchen sink has!

Seems a shame not to promote it.

dave18

Postby dave18 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:34 am

I'm not sure if there is concern over the legal status. I think they are being careful not to promote anything that could put the Next in a bad light. While it does require patching using the original roms to work it is not as clean a codebase as say RAMS (in that it contains a lot of arcade code rather than just a patching system).

dave18

Postby dave18 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:17 pm

Version 1.3 has been uploaded to Github

-Fix issue where sometime the blue notes in the bonus round were not cleared properly
-Fix issue when some people reported gfx corruption on screen outside main play area

Get it here

https://github.com/dave18/BubNext

DanyPPC

Postby DanyPPC » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:13 pm

Many thanks, I will test it.

alanspec

Postby alanspec » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:43 am

Hi dave18,

Not sure if there's been many people playing this 2 player? I had a load of goes tonight with 2 joysticks with my 10 year old(he loves it by the way) - and every game ended with a lockup/crash. Not sure if anyone's reported this? It seems fairly random - couldn't spot any rhyme or reason to it so can't reproduce on purpose. Sometimes happens within minutes, sometimes were were well into the game(about level 40).
Only thing I noticed a couple of times was it locked up when collecting special items - but I didn't notice if that was the case everytime....
Any other reports of this?

Cheers.
Alan.

dave18

Postby dave18 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:01 am

Thanks for the report, I will have to have a few play throughs to see if I can track it down. I thought the last version was quite stable when I'd played it through but if it is crashing on every game I must have introduced a new bug. There are so many items/features I suspect you can play for ages without triggering the problem. If you do notice any pattern around certain items causing the issue then please let me know.

Great to hear your 10 year old is loving it.

alanspec

Postby alanspec » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Guess what dave18?? I've done the unforgivable (again).....
I'm still using the last "final" version you had on your googledrive......
I read back up this thread just now and saw the github link - I had a look and thought "I don't remember patching it or needing the arcade roms".......
I will endeavor to get the newest patched version running today and see if it is any different regarding the 2 player crash I mentioned above......

OK - so I've just got the latest version and patched it. Fired it up on my Next and it's working.

I will try and get another few games with my Son today. I'll let you know how we get on.