Bubble Bobble

Show us your work, thrill and amaze us :)

Moderator: Programming Moderators

dave18

Bubble Bobble

Postby dave18 » Wed May 06, 2020 8:32 am

Hi

I've update my port of Bubble Bobble for the Next that I originally mentioned here https://www.specnext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1639

It's now at Beta 2 release which has the following changes:
+ added enemy firing routines
+ added EXTEND routines (this runs a bit slow as there are lots of Layer 2 writes - will look to optimise once everything else is done)
- Now runs on a 1Mb Next
plus lots of little fixes

There will be loads of bugs still so I'd be grateful for anyone who finds one to let me know here as it takes a lot of playing through to find them, especially which pick ups cause them.

Known issues so far
Flood routine not implemented - happens when you collect a blue cross
Eventual crash if left running through attract mode for long enough - there will be a memory write that hasn't been remapped yet - hard to find until I am able to run under emulation.

Get it here (still in TAP format for now - so make sure you pick the Next mode when loading)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1otNur ... HXnfmToU3-

Dave

Tau Ceti

Re: Bubble Bobble

Postby Tau Ceti » Wed May 06, 2020 4:30 pm

Any chance of screenshot to take a look at it? I can't test, I don't have a Next. You may get some testers on ZX Spectrum Next on Discord, it seems quite busy on there compared to this forum.

dave18

Postby dave18 » Wed May 06, 2020 6:47 pm

I might upload a video at some point I guess. The lack of activity on here is quite disheartening but the official forum has always played second fiddle to Facebook which I am not on.

What is the Discord server? I couldn't find a specific Next server.

mitja_i

Postby mitja_i » Wed May 06, 2020 9:53 pm

Backer 423 @ 37% funded, 10th hour. Base version. Shipping nr. 533. Received February 19, 2020.
Backer 1027 @ 141% funded, 10th minute.

Original 48K (issue 4b) with IF1, two microdrives and vDrive.
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

dave18

Postby dave18 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:04 pm

Thanks

smurphboy

Postby smurphboy » Thu May 07, 2020 7:26 am

I have to say, that is looking superb. Responsive controls, authentic feel and hopefully you can get all the arcade features into it. I've played a LOT of Bubble Bubble over the years and never thought I'd see it on the Speccy quite like this!

I'm looking forward to more updates.

Davide

Postby Davide » Sat May 09, 2020 4:05 pm

Amazing!!!

Is it possible to control it using Keyboard?

chris

Postby chris » Sat May 09, 2020 4:49 pm

I couldn't try this when you originally posted it as I have a 1MB Next, so was excited to give it a try now.
It looks lovely and seems to play quite well, although I can't get very far as I don't have a "Propad" (whatever that is) so am unable to jump!
Any reason why jump can't be mapped to Up (maybe as well as the second button)? And maybe move the credits and start buttons to the keyboard as they don't need to be on the joystick?

dave18

Postby dave18 » Sat May 09, 2020 8:03 pm

It's all on the 'to do' list. The next version I upload will support some more input options.

dave18

Postby dave18 » Fri May 15, 2020 3:52 pm

OK, beta 3 is ready for testing

Main changes are:
Input selection screen added - Press 0 while in Attract Mode. Input defaults to keyboard with the following controls:
Player1
Left Z, Right X, Fire A, Jump Q

Player 2
Left N, Right M, Fire L, Jump P

These are designed to fit two players on the keyboard, however the keys can be redefined from the menui.

Inputs can also be changed to:
Joystick Port A - 1 Button (up is jump)
Joystick Port A - 2 Button
Joystick Port B - 1 Button (up is jump)
Joystick Port B - 2 Button
MD Pad Port A
MD Pad Port B

Changing to either joystick or MD pad will automatically change the setting under Peripheral #06 to match.

Keys 4 & 5 add credits, 1 is P1 start and 2 is P2 start. The game doesn't stop you selecting these keys when redefining the playing keys, but if you do they will still also activate their main function (ie if the assign 4 as jump, every time you jump it will also add a credit)

I've added an interrupt music routine. Currently it just plays a very badly (because I did it) arranged version of the main theme. The code is from Vortex Tracker II and supports multiple modules I just haven't got the talent to produce all the various tracks needed. If anyone wants to help out and produce the music in a Vortex II compatible format I'd be very grateful.

There are various fixes applied:
VS screen now works
Water flood now works
Scroll between levels is improved
and loads of other little fixes

The file is now in the .NEX format rather than .TAP. It runs in CSpect, although there is a bit of garbage at the bottom where CSpect doesn't seem to implement the clipping properly.

Hopefully all the obvious and easy to spot bugs are fixed, but there will be others that take a bit of playing to find. I don't have time to play through hundreds of times to find all the issues so I really need feedback from the community or this is not likely to get completely finished.

Get it here
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kjmqY ... D_L9lxLO70