Bubble Bobble

Show us your work, thrill and amaze us :)

Moderator: Programming Moderators

dave18

Re: Bubble Bobble

Postby dave18 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:05 pm

Yeah, good idea, I have a public GitHub project for this, I removed the binaries previously but I can add them back now.

ZX_Tsugi

Postby ZX_Tsugi » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:38 pm

This is a tremendous job, I've owned Bubble Bobble arcade PCBs for several years and almost everything has been included, and how the game behaves is as I would expect.

Two things: entering cheat codes on the title screen freezes the game, is this because they're not implemented?
Also, is the typo during the attract mode ("when all all enemies") within the original arcade ROM?

Finally, I have all of the correct ROMs in the Bubnext folder, but I get an 'Invalid Stream Handle' error when I run the patch. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

dave18

Postby dave18 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:20 pm

Gahh, left an old filehandle in the patch code which didn't trigger an error for me as the old file was still in my folder! I've updated the archive but if you just want the new patcher get it here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FT40MF ... sp=sharing

dave18

Postby dave18 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:32 pm

The only cheat codes I knew about are the high score entry ones which are all implemented (as far as I know). I assume there are other cheats you are aware of, let me know what they are and I'll try and add them in......

I honestly think that the 'All All' typo has been in there for 2 years and I've never noticed! I will fix for next release (the one with the working extra cheats hopefully).

ZX_Tsugi

Postby ZX_Tsugi » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:42 pm

I've just tried your new file and it worked perfectly.

The cheats I'm referring to are described here:
https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Bubble_Bo ... cret_codes

They have to be entered quickly on the title screen. On your version the screen freezes after they're entered, so maybe the code is looking to jump to an address that's not there?

dave18

Postby dave18 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:07 am

Got it. Yep, all those combinations go to the same address which I just left looping as I didn't know what it did. Now I do I will try and implement. Let me know if you spot anything else, Bubble Bobble is a hard game to playtest so I must have missed loads.

dave18

Postby dave18 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:19 am

When you said almost everything is included was there anything else obviously missing other the the cheats?

ZX_Tsugi

Postby ZX_Tsugi » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:33 am

Aside from the missing cheats, I think it behaves just like the real machine, but I haven't played it enough to check.
As you probably know, it took many years before it was emulated properly in MAME because the MCU had to analysed under a microscope.

I don't think anyone will mind if it's not 100% accurate, I just wondered about the cheats not being present.

dave18

Postby dave18 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 am

Ok, proper release area setup on GitHub here https://github.com/dave18/BubNext

I will remove from my GDrive as the zip file there seems corrupted.

dave18

Postby dave18 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:24 pm

I've managed to add the cheat codes, slightly confusing as the web says fire, jump, fire, jump, fire, jump, right, start(2p side) for Super BB, however the code clearly expects start, jump, fire, left, right, jump, start, right. I've gone with the latter as this is what MAME seems to accept as well.

Shall I still leave Super Bubble Bobble available without the code (as per the US ver 5.1) or require the code to be enter (as per Japan V0.1)????