Simple hexdump dot command, assembly

Show us your work, thrill and amaze us :)

Moderator: Programming Moderators

BHandscomb

Simple hexdump dot command, assembly

Postby BHandscomb » Sat May 16, 2020 6:04 pm

Thought I'd share my first little production, a ".hexdump" dot command written in Z80N assembly... Developed using SjASMPlus and tested using CSpect... Haven't loaded it to my Next yet...

Source and binary somewhat buried in my GitLab "dump" of ZX stuff...
https://gitlab.com/bhandscomb/zxspectru ... master/dot

Works on a 32 column screen (e.g. .hexdump README.MD) but if using 64/85 column command line there is a "wide" option which is a bit nicer... Those modes don't give you BREAK on the Scroll? prompt "for free" so I added a simple BREAK check so you can use BREAK to stop the display at any point.

Won't win any competitions for elegance and I expect there are a few bugs, but it seems to pretty much work...

Was prompted to create this in first couple of days of owning my Next after copying some 128K BASIC programs to my SD card, modifying them to change the LOAD !"x" and SAVE !"x" statements and saving them back only to find my Next had saved files entirely of zero bytes. Think it was my fault with timing of inserting/removing the SD card but figured wouldn't hurt to have something I could use to check file contents on the SD card...

Sample:
Last edited by BHandscomb on Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

BHandscomb

Re: Simple hexdump dot command, assembly

Postby BHandscomb » Mon May 18, 2020 4:32 pm

Copied to my Next, noticed a bug (last line hex output had potential spacing issue), fixed, updated, and been having great fun hexdumping dot commands... how did I not notice there's a ".cowsay" command before now? lol