NextSync Release Thread

Show us your work, thrill and amaze us :)

Moderator: Programming Moderators

sol_hsa

Re: NextSync Release Thread

Postby sol_hsa » Sun May 24, 2020 11:42 am

NextSync 0.8 released

Download here: http://iki.fi/sol/zip/nextsync08.zip

- Protocol: added packet numbering to recover from catastrophic failures
- Protocol: added Restart message to restart a file from beginning if packet numbers mismatch
- Protocol: added Bye to shut down the communication in a more controlled manner
- Docs: more troubleshooting stuff, benchmarks, other tidbits
- Server: server now tracks known files, so it can sync new files with old timestamps
- Server: added option to always sync all files
- Server: added option to sync once and quit
- Server: added option to use safe packet size (256 bytes)
- Server: added option to use unsafe packet size (1460 bytes)
- Client: a lot of error recovery work. Especially try harder to handshake.
- Client: syncfast added (using highest uart speed)
- Client: some optimizations
- Client: if we can't talk to esp, try to reset it. Requires user to re-run sync.
- Client: (internal) text output is now more console i/o-like to ease debugging
- Client: (internal) debug and disk logging compile options added
- Client: (internal) syncslow and syncfast compile options added
- Client: Removed glyphs 128-255 from font to make space.

So turns out I lied about not making a new version.

Luzie

Postby Luzie » Sun May 24, 2020 12:38 pm

sol_hsa wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:33 am
Luzie wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:11 am
2) Maybe a check if SpecNexts Network Interface "is configured and up" can be done. Because I run nextsync by accident on a Next without WIFI builtin (or WIFI not configured yet) and wondered why I couldn´t reach the sync-server :lol:
I don't actually know how to do that. But, it mentions that it can't talk to esp, and docs have troubleshooting section which asks if you have the wifi module at all..
I see, we need a .PING-command for the SpecNext :D

sol_hsa

Postby sol_hsa » Sun May 24, 2020 5:22 pm

Blogged a bit about the development of the NextSync; if you're interested in behind the scenes stuff, go read: http://sol.gfxile.net/#NEXTSYNCREVISITED

Magnus

Postby Magnus » Wed May 27, 2020 5:33 pm

Thank you for this very useful tool! I've had no problems with it so far (only tested the 0.7 version).

sol_hsa

Postby sol_hsa » Sun May 31, 2020 1:08 pm

NextSync 0.9 released

Download here: http://iki.fi/sol/zip/nextsync09.zip

- Protocol: "Bye" packet now responds "Later", which makes empty runs faster
- Protocol: "Gee" considered equal to "Get", because the next seems to make that transmit error relatively often
- Docs: more troubleshooting stuff, benchmarks, other tidbits
- Server: Disconnect no longer has a delay after it
- Client: Handling of fragmented tcp packets (finally)
- Client: A lot of sanity checks and timeout tweaks
- Client: Little text output changes

chris

Postby chris » Sun May 31, 2020 1:22 pm

Couple of very quick bug reports:
1. If the server isn't running, the client hangs (maybe it times out and I wasn't being patient enough?)
2. I tried to use NextSync to sync NextSync, it always fails on the dot command I'm using to run it (OK, fine, not unexpected), so I use one of the other versions to sync the remaining file... and it's trying to sync all three files again. I can't get it to stop reporting that there are three files to sync. I'm sure this was working in the previous version as I did the same thing there.
2B (related - not really a bug but could introduce weirdness). I can't help thinking that the syncpoint.dat should contain timestamps for individual files rather than a single timestamp for all.

sol_hsa

Postby sol_hsa » Sun May 31, 2020 2:23 pm

chris wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:22 pm
Couple of very quick bug reports:
1. If the server isn't running, the client hangs (maybe it times out and I wasn't being patient enough?)
Doesn't happen for me. I've made it a bit more eager to try connecting again, so that may be what you're seeing. I've also seen esp say it's connected while the server doesn't see anything, so.. ymmv.
chris wrote:
2. I tried to use NextSync to sync NextSync, it always fails on the dot command I'm using to run it (OK, fine, not unexpected), so I use one of the other versions to sync the remaining file... and it's trying to sync all three files again. I can't get it to stop reporting that there are three files to sync. I'm sure this was working in the previous version as I did the same thing there.
That's... weird. I haven't seen that behavior at all. I sync sync with a differently named sync all the time, so I would know if that happened =) The only way I can see that happening is that the file date stamps are in The Future..
chris wrote:
2B (related - not really a bug but could introduce weirdness). I can't help thinking that the syncpoint.dat should contain timestamps for individual files rather than a single timestamp for all.
Not really seeing what that would gain.

What neither side handles gracefully is lost connection (i.e, kill the server while transfer is going, or reboot the next). At this point I'm not sure if I'm going to try to make it handle that anyway. The esp isn't horribly cooperative in that regard..

chris

Postby chris » Sun May 31, 2020 5:23 pm

sol_hsa wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:23 pm
chris wrote:
That's... weird. I haven't seen that behavior at all. I sync sync with a differently named sync all the time, so I would know if that happened =) The only way I can see that happening is that the file date stamps are in The Future..
Ah, yes, you're right. The sync commands are timestamped 4pm and I was running this about 2.30pm. They came out of the archive like that so I'm not sure what happened there!
sol_hsa wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:23 pm
chris wrote:
Not really seeing what that would gain.
It would stop it missing files that have been updated but are timestamped earlier than the last sync (also it would stop files in the future from being picked up every time, if you used the timestamp from the file that was synced not the current system time)

You could use hashes if you really wanted to be clever, then it would pick up all changed files whether they are newer or not.

Anyway, just a suggestion :)
Last edited by chris on Sun May 31, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dundarach

Postby dundarach » Sun May 31, 2020 5:45 pm

Brilliant work, many thanks :)

tadaguff

Postby tadaguff » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:37 pm

works great, thanks. had to create /sys/config manually, but you know that.
NB the python script only shows localhost as my interface but the server works fine when I enter the IP/name on the Next