bintracker - new ZX beeper music editor

Show us your work, thrill and amaze us :)

Moderator: Programming Moderators

utz

bintracker - new ZX beeper music editor

Post by utz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Not exactly Next related, but it might be useful for Next users all the same! Bintracker is a new PC-based music editor, targetting the Spectrum (and beyond in the future). For now it supports a handful of my latest beeper music engines. It's open source, and runs on Windows and *nix.

The latest release is always available for download here.
The source code can be pulled from the github repository.

Bug reports and feature requests are very welcome.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Re: bintracker - new ZX beeper music editor

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:25 am

That's awesome utz. I've starred it so I can come back to it when I look at 1-bit music again.

Flinnster

Post by Flinnster » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:50 pm

The bintracker exe was jumped on by AvG (AntiVirus) as an unknown, so it was sent for analysis. It's now been cleared, so shouldn't affect any AvG users any longer ;)
Gamer. Pixelographist. Game Developer. Arcade Collector.

utz

Post by utz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:48 pm

AA: Thanks, your star makes the repo shine ;) Btw 'm thinking to add the z88dk version of Tritone, though generally I don't plan on adding engines that are already available in 1tracker and/or Beepola. First I need to rewrite libmdal (which does the user input to asm data translation) though, as it's too limited in its current form.

Flinnster: Well, let's hope you won't have to do that for every update of the exe...

Alcoholics Anonymous

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:59 pm

Well I was going to look at your tritone to see why it's less noisy. I had to slow tritone down a bit because in z88dk we're making it work (potentially) with every supported z80 machine, including ones that do sound out using different methods. Any extra noise could be due to that.

utz

Post by utz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Not mine, Shiru's Tritone ;) The faster speed would indeed help to reduce noise (or make it less annoying, at least), though anything up to 224 cycles should be ok. For further noise reduction, the distance between all port writes should be a multiple of 8 cycles.