UPDATE #57 The Next is shipping (and other bits)

All the latest updates about the ZX Spectrum Next, Website and Forum News
acidrain

Re: UPDATE #57 The Next is shipping (and other bits)

Postby acidrain » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:56 pm

And at last?! No it isn't sent yet!!! Guys promised 2 weeks ago!!!

dave18

Postby dave18 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:24 pm

It is strange that the team build up a head of steam with the Next starting to be delivered and then risk souring the moment by going dark on the remaining shipment plans. We can all be positive and assume they are busy getting the rest of the Nexts ready for shipment but I find it amazing that after all this time they don't realise that taking 5 mins to communicate should be their top priority. Yes, us the community maybe a little needy but, knowing that and especially as these people helped make the dream a reality, why not take the time just to provide even the briefest of updates?

Even though I love this project and think it is one of the best kickstarters around, the communication is still rather on the poor side.

SevenFFF

Postby SevenFFF » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:43 pm

This has been said before. Only so many Nexts can be made in the factory per day, and there are like 10 times as many accelerated than pluses or base models. You should expect a very large load (like a lorry load) to ship at once, not individual Nexts dripping out of the factory daily.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins

dave18

Postby dave18 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:00 am

I get it, just saying that a quick update to say how that progress is going a when they might ship would keep a lot of people happy.

SevenFFF

Postby SevenFFF » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:41 pm

The packaging is also being slightly revised to hold the Next inside the insert better, based on feedback from Base and Plus tier recipients who had it shift in transit.

Just be glad you're not on facebook, where there's an armchair expert war between the people compaining this is causing delays, the people complaining that the packaging should not need to be redesigned, the people complaining that the packaging must be redesigned and how dare anyone else complain about different things from the things they want to complain about, and the people complaining that it's being redesigned wrong and they know better than anyone else how to redesign it (even though the actual solution has not been made public yet because it's still in progress).

I expect you'll see an update once the solution has been figured out, but this will still piss off the people who are complaining that they should get an update saying that an update is imminent.
Robin Verhagen-Guest

dave18

Postby dave18 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:20 pm

Ouch, one of the many reasons I'm not on Facebook.

Thanks for taking the time for that mini update though, I, as ever, trust the Next team to make the best decision.

acidrain

Postby acidrain » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:30 pm

Hope XMAS' 2020 will get my supa dupa high-tech specnext+raspberry! =)))

nvingo

Postby nvingo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:43 pm

On the shop page, all three variants of the Spectrum Next are out-of-stock.
Does this mean all units currently being built are pre-ordered, or will they become available to purchase?
I'm not keen to furnish an extra £100+ to an ebay seller who 'changed their mind'.

SevenFFF

Postby SevenFFF » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:10 pm

The shop was briefly in operation after the end of the first Kickstarter, to give a few more people the opportunity to preorder before the number were locked for the component ordering phase.

Being out of stock doesn’t imply it will be in stock soon, or indeed ever. There isn’t a mechanism to preorder units and have them built on demand in small batches. The 3000+ quantities from the last Kickstarter enabled some volume discounts, although even this really is also small as far as the suppliers are concerned. Building a smaller batch would result in ridiculously higher pricing for the finished items.

The next opportunity to preorder/back Nexts will be through Kickstarter 2, not the webshop.

If you want hardware than can run the Next core right now, a 1MB ZX-DOS can be purchased from Antonio Villena for roughly €100.
Robin Verhagen-Guest

sol_hsa

Postby sol_hsa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:59 pm

The shop (which is the first hit for me when searching for "buy spectrum next") has a note in red text explaining the situation. I guess it could still be presented in a more noticeable way, but the situation is still better than before it had that note.