Now I'm backer 1722 for the 2nd issue
!!! Cost A bit more than expected
Still ............"So excited "

Alcoholics Anonymous

Re: ZX Spectrum Next - Kickstarter 2

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:04 am

lgb wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:01 pm
I would need to know first what the mitigation is, actually. Some kind of buffer chip or so? I assume a simple "put a diode" would not work :)
Yes a diode will not work :) The power is coming through the hdmi signal lines and the solution will involve a buffer ic. I'm not sure which one it will be yet though so you should ask again later. Djorde also found a cheap Chinese doodad that solves the problem that can be plugged into the hdmi port. So I expect he will be selling those eventually.

zelea2

Postby zelea2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:50 pm

I was initially excited by this second kickstarter run and I was expecting lower prices but instead everything is more expensive.
300£ for what essentially is an 8bit machine (to be received after a year) made me opt out.

I've built a MAME cabinet for less than 300£ and that includes: wooden panels, second hand monitor, an Intel Atom
board, SSD disk, joystick buttons, LED matrix. I can play all the Spectrum games flawlessly on my arcade cabinet.

To put the 300£ into perspective, with this sum you can buy either:
- PlayStation 4 + 1TB storage + 1 game
- a desktop computer AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7GHz 8GB DDR4 + 240GB SSD
- Toshiba 43U2963DB 43 inch Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV

I've seen that the kickstarter is about to reach one melleooooon pounds so it seems a lot of people want a Next.
I reckon these are all nostalgia buys, people who didn't previously own a Spectrum ZX would not purchase a Spectrum Next.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:17 am

zelea2 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:50 pm
- a desktop computer AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7GHz 8GB DDR4 + 240GB SSD
- Toshiba 43U2963DB 43 inch Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV
Unfortunately low volume manufacturing is expensive. It makes a big difference if you can make things in the millions or hundreds of thousands. Making a million Nexts would be considerably less expensive per unit than making a few thousand.
I've seen that the kickstarter is about to reach one melleooooon pounds so it seems a lot of people want a Next.
I reckon these are all nostalgia buys, people who didn't previously own a Spectrum ZX would not purchase a Spectrum Next.
I would strongly disagree there. Spectrum users spend hundreds of pounds on new keyboards, refurbishing their old computers, adding devices like the divmmc / zx hd / vgajoy, etc. and in the end still don't have a machine that can run nearly all software properly and use features like ula+ that some of the community are targetting. This is if you want to ignore the new things that the Next delivers.

In the end you will have to decide for yourself if the expense is justified for your needs.

Cthutu

Postby Cthutu » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 pm

zelea2 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:50 pm
Playstations and all consoles are sold at a loss. They cost Sony et al a lot more than 300 pounds to produce. They recoup their losses from video game sales.

megadona

Postby megadona » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:51 pm

hello please help, I am going to participate in the second kickstarted but I don't know which model to choose, my utility will be for playing, I don't know what because the "accelerated" model is more expensive,what is its advantage over it "plus" which model do you recommend me? and why?thank you and sorry how I write, I'm using google translator

RobertS

Postby RobertS » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:53 pm

megadona wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:51 pm
hello please help, I am going to participate in the second kickstarted but I don't know which model to choose, my utility will be for playing, I don't know what because the "accelerated" model is more expensive,what is its advantage over it "plus" which model do you recommend me? and why?thank you and sorry how I write, I'm using google translator
An answer is here:
https://www.specnext.com/forum/viewtopi ... 770#p11770

If you just play games, you don't need the "accelerated" model now. You can always add the "Pi zero" at a later time.

megadona

Postby megadona » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:49 pm

RobertS wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:53 pm
megadona wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:51 pm
An answer is here:
https://www.specnext.com/forum/viewtopi ... 770#p11770

If you just play games, you don't need the "accelerated" model now. You can always add the "Pi zero" at a later time.

thank you very much for answering of true