Hello From Swansea

Don't be shy, come introduce yourself with the rest of the community
EtchedPixels

Hello From Swansea

Post by EtchedPixels » Fri May 04, 2018 12:47 pm

Long ago I used to work for Adventure International UK on various adventure games, including writing Blizzard Pass which ended up on a Spectrum 128K starter pack tape (which I still get cursed for ;)) before we moved on to Amiga/Atari/PC stuff like Personal Nightmare and Elvira.

Somewhere along the way I got into MUD's, wrote most of AberMUD and then got into operating systems to get something to run AberMUD on and ended up involved in Linux.

Nowdays I'm also doing some retro stuff including porting various Adventure games to the Tandy MC10, writing Fuzix, and have been looking at how best to run Fuzix on the Next and maybe as well a properly free port of CP/M 3 and of MP/M.

Alan

Alcoholics Anonymous

Re: Hello From Swansea

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Fri May 04, 2018 7:07 pm

You're a bit modest :)

cp/m is going to be an option built into the Next but there is nothing barring anyone from implementing their own flavour. It would be very easy to boot up via a dot command. The memory is divided into 8k pages into which you can place any ram page so it should be easy to have large TPA. The underlying operating system is available via rst 8 hook, which normally causes an 8k os page to kick in. This is something that will not happen if you have ram in the bottom 8k as you will with cpm. But it's not hard to work around this.

fuzix would be a nice add. You'd also like to keep the os in another memory bank so that max ram is available for processes in the main 64k so that may need some doing. I've always meant to look into fuzix and one day I will but there is always so much hobby stuff to do.

Timbucus

Post by Timbucus » Fri May 04, 2018 10:20 pm

Welcome fellow Welsh Next enthusiast... honour to have such esteemed company here. (In Wales and on the board...)
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

SamusDrake

Post by SamusDrake » Fri May 04, 2018 10:34 pm

Alan, I do remember playing a text game called "Blizzard" when I was a young nipper and although was rubbish at it, I really liked the setting. It must have been your game!

Welcome to the forum. ^_^

EtchedPixels

Post by EtchedPixels » Sat May 05, 2018 10:50 pm

You don't actually need any fancy paging for CP/M just simple stuff. If you follow the instructions in the CP/M docs you don't get that but if you do what the later platforms did and put nothing but jump tables and stubs in the very top of memory of the user bank you can get a 63K TPA.