Allo...

Don't be shy, come introduce yourself with the rest of the community
StealthGary

Allo...

Post by StealthGary » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:36 am

Allo chaps, I'm Gary.

I had my first computer - a well loved ZX Spectrum 48k - at the age of 8, and immediately started trying to make games by screeching into the microphone of my tape deck. It didn't work, but I did manage to hit the right frequency to get a blue border for a fraction of a second...
I dabbled in basic as a kid and these days code mostly for the web. I'd love to make some stuff for the Next, but I fear that JavaScript and machine code are worlds apart and it may be a little over my head.
Still, I'm very excited about the Next and am rubbing my hands together with absolute glee at the thought of mine arriving... Just a fantastic project... so much cooler than an emulator on a pi with a printed case. :D

I may have met some of you at various shows over the years; I used to be one of the chaps behind RetroGT.com, which does all the lovely t-shirts at the likes of Play and Revival.

mitja_i

Re: Allo...

Post by mitja_i » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:45 am

Allo allo! :) Hello and welcome, Gary!
Backer 423 @ 37% funded 29 days left
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

SevenFFF

Post by SevenFFF » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi:)

Assembly language is extremely satisfying when you’re a modern coder! I think you’ll take to it quickly.

And there’s all sorts of modern cross-assemblers these days. And ways to send your code to the Next through the built in serial port, or with WiFi-enabled SD cards.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel Spectron 2084blog

StealthGary

Post by StealthGary » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Well, that's good to hear... I can totally see myself coding on the PC, even though the Next's keyboard looks to be a thing of ergnomic beauty. ;)
I'm not sure about assembly though - I've tried to find some info and what little I've come across seems rather daunting!
I'll be looking forward to some beginner level tutorials, hopefully.

SevenFFF

Post by SevenFFF » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:29 pm

If you’re on Facebook, there’s a good beginner tutorial series here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/187616474965322

Also Jonathan Caldwell’s book is highly recommended: https://chuntey.wordpress.com/2012/12/1 ... ter-1/amp/

It’s also available on his site as a complete pdf, but I can’t find the link at present.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
NXtel Spectron 2084blog

StealthGary

Post by StealthGary » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 pm

Cool, thanks for the links!
I'd already come across that article by Jonathan Cauldwell, though even that assumes more knowledge than I currently posess. The very idea of poking bits of data into memory is pretty out there for a lowly ColdFusion developer such as myself, so I think I need to backtrack a bit to an old ZX81 manual or something similar before I attempt all that crazy stuff. ;)

The link you posted seems to point to a republished article - by any chance do you know where I might find the rest of the book?

SevenFFF

Post by SevenFFF » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:46 pm

I found it, it's right at the bottom of this page: http://www.spanglefish.com/egghead/inde ... eid=397755

Lots of people have their favourite machine code books, but this is the one I started with, and I think it takes you there right from the beginning: http://www.retro8bitcomputers.co.uk/boo ... teBeginner
Robin Verhagen-Guest
NXtel Spectron 2084blog

StealthGary

Post by StealthGary » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Oh wow, that is absolutely superb, thanks so much! ;)