Another member from the UK!

Don't be shy, come introduce yourself with the rest of the community
Montala

Another member from the UK!

Postby Montala » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:44 pm

Hi,
I thought it only right that after a few days of “lurking” around the Forum, my first post should be in this thread, so here goes!
Although I am widely known as “Montala”, my actual name is David, and I have been interested in computers for many years. I first acquired a ZX81 back in goodness knows when, and then moved up quickly through a BBC Micro onto IBM ‘clones’, which I saw as the future of personal home computing. I started to ‘modify’ and improve these, and eventually ended up’ building’ them to my customers specific requirements.
“Retro” computers have always held a fascination for me, as have models like the Raspberry Pi, and I have always had a certain respect for the Sinclair Spectrum, although I never actually owned one. How I managed to miss the Kickstarter launch of the Spectrum Next, I will never know, and I was too late to even pick up one of the later release models, when they were eventually made available.
Having read a lot more about them over the last few weeks, and being well impressed by the finished product, I quickly came to the conclusion that I just had to have one of the accelerated models sooner rather than later, but was put off by some of the silly prices being asked on eBay. Although I do realise that not everyone in the UK who backed one of these beauties has even received it yet, the thought occurred to me that now we are in the middle of this horrible virus pandemic, and things are far from normal at present, there must be some backers who perhaps wished that they hadn’t spent that amount of money three years ago , and could put it to better use now to help support themselves and their family.
To try and help anyone who is in that situation, I am willing to buy a new UK version of the accelerated model (whether it has been received yet or not) from a backer, and would obviously add an additional sum as a “thank you” gesture, in the hope that it will be of some help to them.
I live in North Herefordshire (a few miles south of Ludlow) but distance is not really a problem while the courier system is still working, so I wondered if anyone is interested in my suggestion and is willing to work with, and to help out a fellow computer enthusiast? If so, then you might prefer to reply to me with a Personal Message, rather than on here.
Stay Safe,
David

mitja_i

Re: Another member from the UK!

Postby mitja_i » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:17 am

Welcome to the forum, David!
Backer 423 @ 37% funded, 10th hour. Base version. Shipping nr. 533. Received February 19, 2020.
Backer 1027 @ 141% funded, 10th minute.

Original 48K (issue 4b) with IF1, two microdrives and vDrive.
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

Andy1966uk

Postby Andy1966uk » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:05 pm

welcome David, I'm from UK to. Just joined forum, brings back memories of getting my first 48k Spectrum when they first came out... got my hands on a NEXT now and absolutely love it.... welcome....

Timbucus

Postby Timbucus » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:13 pm

Welcome to the forum and good luck with acquiring a machine at a reasonable cost - they are well worth the money - I am so glad I backed it and a dev board so long ago. They do turn up for sale and of course when things have recovered I am sure the team will launch the second kickstarter so they can be obtained at near cost again.
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

Neo71

Postby Neo71 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:45 am

Hi all,
My name is John, I’ve just joined and really excited about getting my Next sometime this week!
My Spectrum love affair started back in 1983 at Christmas when my brother and I received a lovely rubber keyed 48k Spectrum. I still have the two games we got as well at the time, Scramble by Miro-Gen and Jet Pac by Ultimate.

Looking forward to reading all about what you are all doing with your Next’s and hopefully adding to the forum when I can.

Cheers
John

Montala

Postby Montala » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome posts folks, and a special one to John (Neo71) who would probabaly been better off starting a new thread, rather than adding on to this one, but I hope that it will not be too long now John you receive your Spectrum Next.

Mine is due to arrive on Wednesday, and although it is coming from an eBay seller (I couldn't wait any longer!), the box has never actually been opened, so I am looking forward to enjoying the full "unboxing" experience!

If it is not too late, a very Happy Easter to everyone, and please do ensure that you all "stay safe"! :)

David

Neo71

Postby Neo71 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:00 pm

Sorry about tagging onto your post David, just really excited!

Montala

Postby Montala » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:13 pm

No problem John... just hope your Spectrum Next arrives safely soon! :)

Neo71

Postby Neo71 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:44 pm

Thanks

DanyPPC

Postby DanyPPC » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:51 am

You are welcome !