Hello from Lisbon, Portugal!

Don't be shy, come introduce yourself with the rest of the community
GPT

Hello from Lisbon, Portugal!

Postby GPT » Wed May 13, 2020 10:00 am

Hello from Lisbon, Portugal.

I’ve been a fan / user since, pretty much, the beginning of the ZX Spectrum computers.

I started using a Spectrum 16K at a close friend’s home and sometime later my mother bought me my own 48K, I was at school then.

Between 1985 and 1986 I worked at, probably at that time, the largest computer retailer / store chain in the country, Triudus. There, we sold everything Sinclair related and also other brands like Commodore, Atari, Amstrad, etc.

In 1987 and 1988 I worked at the Timex Portugal Factory near Lisbon.

I started in Quality Control where I programmed tests in Z80 assembler that were used in the assembly line to test the whole line of Sinclair computers that were made there.

Then I moved to the Product department where I designed, using CAD software, a few PCBs including joystick interfaces for the Sinclair computers.

Finally I moved to the development department, where among other things, I was part of the team that was developing the TC3256, a computer that never saw the light of day. My involvement in this last project was in a background / supporting kind. I was tasked to make some of the tools used in the development to “talk” to each other and I wrote mainly Pascal programs to do that. At that time nothing was compatible, and we needed to move information from one software tool to another to advance the project.

Thanks to all of that I have some very unique items from this era.

I heard about the first crowdfunding but I was unable to be a part of that, but now I hope I will be able to get a Next sometime in the future.

Regards!
Tony

mitja_i

Re: Hello from Lisbon, Portugal!

Postby mitja_i » Wed May 13, 2020 10:06 am

Hello Tony! Welcome to the forum!
Backer 423 @ 37% funded, 10th hour. Base version. Shipping nr. 533. Received February 19, 2020.
Backer 1027 @ 141% funded, 10th minute.

Original 48K (issue 4b) with IF1, two microdrives and vDrive.
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

Ivan Filipe

Postby Ivan Filipe » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:16 pm

Olá António, ajudas-me na compra do zx spectrum next?

DanyPPC

Postby DanyPPC » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:49 am

You are welcome

Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Alcoholics Anonymous » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:17 am

I'd be interested in hearing about any details you can remember about the TC3256. Specs, how complete it was, etc.

GPT

Postby GPT » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:33 am

Hi,
Somethings I remember:

The computer was production ready (I would say 99.5%).
The case was based on the FDD3000 keyboard case. It was very similar, with the numeric keypad on the right side but above the separation between the keyboard and the numeric keypad there was a cartridge slot and to the right of that a rather large reset button.
On the back there was the normal Sinclair expansion port, but there was another smaller expansion port that I can’t remember what it was for. There was also a joystick port and mic and ear connectors. Then there was also the aerial connector and two din connectors, power supply and RGB. On the left side there was another joystick port and another two connectors like the ear and mic. I can’t remember if they were for the same purpose of the other two in the back. On the right side there was the connection for the Timex FDD3000 and a connector with 8 dip switches that I’m almost certain would not be accessible to the final user directly.
When you turn it on there was a menu with several options including a word processor and CP/M.
Those were good days!
Thanks.