UK Unix person...

Don't be shy, come introduce yourself with the rest of the community
hippiegunnut

UK Unix person...

Postby hippiegunnut » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:17 pm

but it was a ZX81 that started me off. Then I got a spectrum and later a plus and then with money from a Saturday job and some luck with discounting a TRS-80 model 100 (the 102 had just been released). I was still at sixth form when I got that so I was actually taking a laptop to school in the '80's (usual mix of BBCs and 380z at school but also TRS-80 model 1). The school had recently upgraded to a shiney 2400bps modem and the CS teacher let me borrow the old 300baud accoustic coupler which got me into BBSes. Later I had an Amiga 500, ended up being a BBS Sysop for a while and sort of drifted into a career in IT support - BBS experience got me a job at Compu$erve when that was still a thing and I started playing with unix SCO first, then A/UX, and ended up a unix sysadmin from there both at universities and private sector.

Anyway I'd sort of vaguely heard of the Next when the first kickstarter was happening but not enough to get seriously interested and then I saw Nostalgia Nerd's review on youtube and got hit with a major case of technolust and so I've signed up for an accelerated next on kickstarter #2.

Timbucus

Re: UK Unix person...

Postby Timbucus » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:34 am

Welcome to the quiet side of the Next community - I started on ZX81 and then Spectrum as with you. The Next really gave me the same Biz they did.
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.