Steve from England

Don't be shy, come introduce yourself with the rest of the community
ZXSteve

Steve from England

Postby ZXSteve » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:58 pm

Hello, I'm Steve from the north west of England.

I am in my late 50's and have been a Spectrum fan since when in 1983 I sold my BBC Model B and bought a ZX Spectrum 48k (yes really, as much as I loved my Beeb I was insanely jealous of the Spectrum far superior game library at that time) From the Spectrum I moved to an Atari 800XL and then a Commodore 64 and Amiga.

I've been getting more and more disillusioned with modern gaming (I have a PS4 and Nintendo Switch) and I find myself more and more wishing I was back in the 80's in the 8 bit era which is my fave era of gaming. I heard of a handheld Spectrum called the Vega+ so I pledged for it and of course never got one, nor my money back. So when I heard of the Spectrum Next I was pretty much put off kickstarter and indiegogo for life by the Vega+ fiasco.

I've spent many months trawling ebay for a Next but the prices were absurd and vastly outside my budget but I did manage to get one in its original box with manual for £310 which is a lot for a used one but it cuts out the year wait. (and at my age and health status, every week counts. haha)

I hope to use the Next to play my fave spectrum games and perhaps even get into coding it (but sadly I'd have to use basic as machine code is way over my head)

I look forward to discussing the Spectrum, Next and its games with you all.
Steve

MtM

Re: Steve from England

Postby MtM » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:58 am

Welcome Steve! £310 is very cheap for a Next on ebay so congratulations for that.
Hope you enjoy the machine and the forum, though it can be a bit quiet around here.
For what it's worth I think a lot of people are tired of the current games scene, fairly generic triple
AAA titles. There are a few good independent games out there if you trawl on Steam and io, places
like that, and of course some classic old games on gog, but in truth, the future is in the past for gaming ;-)
Enjoy anyway!