John from England

Don't be shy, come introduce yourself with the rest of the community
jsh001

John from England

Postby jsh001 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:29 pm

Hello, I’m John from the south east of England.

My first computer was a ZX80, which was followed by the ZX81 and then the ZX Spectrum. That was back in the days when I was in my “enthusiast” period, developing games and utilities in Z80 assembler (as well as co-authoring a book with Andrew Hewson for the ZX Spectrum). Just as sprites were starting to appear, I moved on to software development in the business world, which kinda killed off the enthusiast in me for a long time. I’ve always wondered though, with the extra 30+ years commercial software development that I have done since, what I could now do with Z80 assembler. So, I’ve backed the latest KickStarter and am looking forward to getting my Next. I’m just setting up the development environment on my Windows PC, with VS Code, Spectrum emulator, Z80 cross assembler etc. Can’t wait to get going, particularly using sprites instead of moving things 8 pixels at a time 😊

mitja_i

Re: John from England

Postby mitja_i » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi John! Welcome!
Backer 423 @ 37% funded, 10th hour. Base version. Shipping nr. 533. Received February 19, 2020.
Backer 1027 @ 141% funded, 10th minute.

Original 48K (issue 4b) with IF1, two microdrives and vDrive.
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

Timbucus

Postby Timbucus » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:33 pm

Nice one and Welcome - I have great fun working with the Next it feels just like a traditional Spectrum and its immediate ability to hit the hardware is a real refreshing change from the bulging API's of modern systems. Like a comfortable pair of slippers.
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

DanyPPC

Postby DanyPPC » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:05 am

Welcome John