Next boards have made it to Newcastle upon Tyne

Don't be shy, come introduce yourself with the rest of the community
StevenQ-NE0UK

Next boards have made it to Newcastle upon Tyne

Postby StevenQ-NE0UK » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:43 am

Greetings Speccy fans,

I'm Steve from Newcastle in the North East. Now that my Next board has turned up I thought it best to join up (altho I did put a "0" instead of a "-" in my user name, DOH)

I've been a Speccy fan since I was about 7 - 8 years old. I never got around to coding anything other than simple 150 - 200 line programs but I'm hoping to use my Next to get back into it, I've even dug out my original Spectrum 48k manual and a couple of other programming books from back in the day.

I've already fitted my Next board into my Spectrum 48k case (yip I did buy a keyboard membrane of eBay in prep for this). It was a bit of a Dremmel (other rotary tools are available) hack job but it does look the part now. I'll shove some pics on here at some point.

So, that's it for now. Feel free to say hi and give me programming encouragement / advice.

Steve

p.s. If you were ever in "The Computer Shop" in Newcastle back in the 80's and a display Speccy showed "Enter your name" on the screen but started beeping when you typed anything, that was me. Sorry abut that :P

mitja_i

Re: Next boards have made it to Newcastle upon Tyne

Postby mitja_i » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24 am

Hi, Steve!
Backer 423 @ 37% funded, 10th hour. Base version. Shipping nr. 533. Received February 19, 2020.
Backer 1027 @ 141% funded, 10th minute.

Original 48K (issue 4b) with IF1, two microdrives and vDrive.
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

Northernbob

Postby Northernbob » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 am

good to see you southern folk getting involved!

which street was that on then?

we had a shop in morpeth, so didnt really buy muchin town. although we did get my speccy form whsmith! fenwicks used to have a good display of computers near the toys floor, spent many hours there while mother was off shopping!
(lol the number of times i was abandoned in fenwicks!!)

StevenQ-NE0UK

Postby StevenQ-NE0UK » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:58 am

Hi,

It was around the outside of the Granger market, I want to say Nun Street but I'm not 100% on that. I think it moved to a very small retail unit upstairs in Eldon Square, around where Smash Burger is now. It was simply called "The Computer Shop".

I had a few variations of the code from just making a noise when a key was pressed to flashing the screen red, beeping wildly and listing the text that was entered over and over. Ahh those were the days ha ha ha