G'day from Brisbane, Australia

Don't be shy, come introduce yourself with the rest of the community
Metabolis

G'day from Brisbane, Australia

Postby Metabolis » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:08 am

Hi.

Saying hello, mostly to find out if there are any other Spectrum Next enthusiasts in Brisbane.

A bit of background, I got myself a ZX81 back in '82. At the age of six I apparently declared to my parents, "I need more RAM!" after having it beep at me due to my basic program being too lengthy. I soon received a 16k ram pack.

Sold that in '83 and got myself a rubber keyed 48k.

I came to Australia from the UK (Coventry) in 1987 and brought the Spectrum with me, to find that noone here had heard of the machine and I had no way of obtaining new games. Though I did find a newsagent that ordered me Crash magazines, so those cover tapes were like gold. My speccy gave up the ghost in about 1991.

Around 1999 I got myself a Spectrum +2 from someone who was holidaying back in the UK, and tbh I haven't used it for a good 15 years so I've no idea if it still works. I really should fire it up one of these days.

I still have my broken 48k, and today I received a new keyboard membrane so I'm ready to fit my next board in there (after some dremel work).

Looking forward to loading up the many tapes I still have on the next, though I don't actually have a tape player right now.

Anyway, that's my Sinclair life story.

Cheers.

Timbucus

Re: G'day from Brisbane, Australia

Postby Timbucus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:45 am

Welcome to the Next world - I am in the old country Wales so a bit far from you...
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

Eratosthenes

Postby Eratosthenes » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:31 am

Hi Metabolis,

and welcome. Nice story...

I don't think that you will need a cassette player for the Next. The only need for it are your own programs or to get the full retro feeling... :)

If an SD card is OK for you than you find nearly everything you need here: https://www.worldofspectrum.org/archive.html

Have a lot of fun with your Next.

Metabolis

Postby Metabolis » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi Timbucus and Eratosthenes.

Yeah, I'd like to load up the old tapes I have purely for nostalgia.

My son will get a taste of the patience I used to have when I was his age..

Timbucus

Postby Timbucus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Loading tapes is good fun as well! The system also has a tape emulator that actually loads the .tap file at real speed with the border effects and sound as is...
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.