Help: Legacy peripherals do not work on my 2A board

This section is for discussing everything about Next hardware and latest updates.
PiyoTaro

Help: Legacy peripherals do not work on my 2A board

Post by PiyoTaro » Tue May 07, 2019 6:18 pm

When I connected my thermal printer "TIMEX Sinclair 2040" to the edge connector of "ZXSpectrumNext", it showed an unusual indication.
As soon as the power of "ZXSpectrumNext" was turned on, the start menu was displayed and transitioned to the "Select Option" menu.
When the printer is removed from the edge connector, "ZXSpectrumNext" starts up normally.

I selected "ZXSpectrum 48" from the start menu, turned off the power, connected the printer and turned on, and I saw the same problem behavior as before.

Is this a problem with "my board" or a compatibility problem with the printer equipment?

(My board 2A, core 2.00.28 firmware v1.10d. The upgrade overwrites the Gitlab "TBBlue Official Distribution git repo" file on the "TBBLUE V.1.03" card.)
Attachments
20190507_ZXN_problem.jpg
20190507_ZXN_problem.jpg (141.45 KiB) Viewed 799 times
20190507_ZXN_timexprinter.jpg
20190507_ZXN_timexprinter.jpg (365.74 KiB) Viewed 799 times

seedy1812

Re: Help: Legacy peripherals do not work on my 2A board

Post by seedy1812 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:39 pm

As I don't own a thermal printer ( zx , alphacom etc ) if you do a search on the forums you will see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=634 and in the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/specnex ... 438426680/

mitja_i

Post by mitja_i » Wed May 08, 2019 12:40 pm

https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue/co ... 2f51ac20b6
Revert FW to v1.10c pending investigations into stability issues with v1.10d
Backer 423 @ 37% funded 29 days left
---
ZX Spectrum Next glossary

PiyoTaro

Post by PiyoTaro » Wed May 08, 2019 5:23 pm

seedy1812 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:39 pm
As I don't own a thermal printer ( zx , alphacom etc ) if you do a search on the forums you will see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=634 and in the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/specnex ... 438426680/
Thank you for your advice.
In April 2018, I had preserved the box of "ZXSpectrumNext board" carefully and did not open it yet.

The thread was linked to an article "The printer's 8-bit IO port decode ($ fb) is incomplete".
Alcoholics Anonymous wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:27 pm
I think the ZX Printer is one of the casualties.
I don't know if the Next team was aware of this page:
https://faqwiki.zxnet.co.uk/wiki/ZXI_standard
but they did adopt port 0x3b for io which conflicts with the zx printer.

Timbucus

Post by Timbucus » Sun May 12, 2019 9:12 am

Indeed I have an Alphacom and Original Sinclair and the team are aware of that issue - a mod is needed to the printer decoding. Of course it will only work with 48K and 128k original ROM mode as well as Amstrad dropped support from +2a onwards.
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

PiyoTaro

Legacy ROM mode help!/Re: Help: Legacy peripherals do not work on my 2A board

Post by PiyoTaro » Wed May 22, 2019 11:02 am

About the Legacy Machine mode.
Please tell me how to make NMI/SD card drive work with Legacy 48K/128K ROM system.

Does the current version of "TBBlue SD Distribution" not include software that supports "DivMMC"?

The old "Startup Guide" describes how to deploy the esxdos site version of the software.

"Quick Start Guide / Instructions for the 2A/B Next boards" December 3, 2017
https://www.specnext.com/instructions-f ... ext-board/

I obtained the "esxdos860.zip" file, extracted the "sys" folder, and extracted the file in the root directory to the "tbblue" folder. But it did not work properly.

PiyoTaro

Re: Legacy ROM mode help!/Re: Help: Legacy peripherals do not work on my 2A board

Post by PiyoTaro » Mon May 27, 2019 2:51 pm

Supplement.
The previous version of the SD card up to "Distribution v.0.9" contained a file "RENAME-TO-WORKesxmmc.rom". The old "Startup Guide" description seems to be usable by changing the name of this file.
It did not work when I put this file on the current version of the card.

PiyoTaro wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:02 am
Please tell me how to make NMI/SD card drive work with Legacy 48K/128K ROM system.

Does the current version of "TBBlue SD Distribution" not include software that supports "DivMMC"?

The old "Startup Guide" describes how to deploy the esxdos site version of the software.

I obtained the "esxdos860.zip" file, extracted the "sys" folder, and extracted the file in the root directory to the "tbblue" folder. But it did not work properly.

Timbucus

Post by Timbucus » Mon May 27, 2019 4:54 pm

To get ESXDOS to work on the 48K/128K personality you need to make sure in the config that (SPACE on boot and the E) has DivMMC set to YES (NextZXOS does not need it so ignores it). Also the ROM you need is the file called esxmmc.bin in the ESXDOS0.8.6 distribution - this should be copied into the tbblue folder and renamed to ESXMMC.ROM which is the default name that is loaded.

You also need the BIN directory extracted as well as the DOT directory contains NextZXOS commands mostly now - although many will work under ESXDOS and can be copied over to DOT where it makes sense e.g. DATE,TIME, UART etc
I'm Infinite Imaginations when not in work... PAWS for thought.

PiyoTaro

Re: Legacy ROM mode help!/Re: Help: Legacy peripherals do not work on my 2A board

Post by PiyoTaro » Mon May 27, 2019 6:05 pm

The archive "esxdos086.zip" currently published on "www.esxdos.org" does not have the 'ESXMMC.BIN' file in the answer.

I first posted the question that 'ESXMMC.ROM' in the root directory of the "esxdos086.zip" archive didn't work if it was unpacked to tbblue.
And I just posted about "Rename and use the file 'RENAME-TO-WORKesxmmc.rom'(which was included in the old Distribution 0.9) that was published in the old startup guide.

And although both files show "esxmmc.rom...OK" message at startup, they do not work properly.

The behavior of displaying the esxdos logo and checking the sda ​​device may stop for a long time or skip this operation. The NMI button does not work.
Timbucus wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:54 pm
To get ESXDOS to work on the 48K/128K personality you need to make sure in the config that (SPACE on boot and the E) has DivMMC set to YES (NextZXOS does not need it so ignores it). Also the ROM you need is the file called esxmmc.bin in the ESXDOS0.8.6 distribution - this should be copied into the tbblue folder and renamed to ESXMMC.ROM which is the default name that is loaded.

You also need the BIN directory extracted as well as the DOT directory contains NextZXOS commands mostly now - although many will work under ESXDOS and can be copied over to DOT where it makes sense e.g. DATE,TIME, UART etc
PiyoTaro wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:51 pm
Supplement.
The previous version of the SD card up to "Distribution v.0.9" contained a file "RENAME-TO-WORKesxmmc.rom". The old "Startup Guide" description seems to be usable by changing the name of this file.
It did not work when I put this file on the current version of the card.

PiyoTaro wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:02 am